90 GMC Sierra1500 SLE Shortbed Stepside shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90gmcsierraL59

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the shocks on my 90. I put Gabriel Striders from Autozone on it shortly after I bought it in 04 with 99K on it. I am now at 258K and since installing the topper I have started noticing some body sway and buffeting in high winds that I never felt before. I am leaning towards Bilstein 4600s after reading several threads on here. My truck is stock ride height and will remain so. I want a good handling firm ride but I do use this truck exclusively on road and lots of highway driving so I value comfort as well. The only towing I do is my annual trip to East Tennessee with three bikes on my bike trailer and the bed full of tools and parts. Looking for advice as to if the Bilsteins will foot the bill. Thanks in advance.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the shocks on my 90. I put Gabriel Striders from Autozone on it shortly after I bought it in 04 with 99K on it. I am now at 258K and since installing the topper I have started noticing some body sway and buffeting in high winds that I never felt before. I am leaning towards Bilstein 4600s after reading several threads on here.

I upgraded to the Bilsteins last year, and after living with them since then
I find that they made a sizable improvement in vehicle dynamics, especially
when asking the truck to do more than 1 thing at a time on less than
perfect roads. (Turn while braking, accelerating through a cloverleaf in
order to merge with traffic, etc.)

While you are at it, I'd recommend that you also give your front
anti-sway bar bushings a good look, and if they are anything like mine
were (LINK) then don't hesitate to renew the bushings with something
like the MOOG Problem Solvers I mentioned.

Doing both at the same time should make a marked improvement in
the 'body sway & buffeting' you described. No kidding, this should
make the lanes on the Interstate feel a lot wider than before.

For what it's worth --

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B4600s are the way to go. Excellent shock absorber with an excellent build quality.

Shane B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put them on my 95 2500 suburban and they made a HUGE improvement in the way the burb handled.

OhU8one2

Reaction score
I am looking to replace the shocks on my 90. I put Gabriel Striders from Autozone on it shortly after I bought it in 04 with 99K on it. I am now at 258K and since installing the topper I have started noticing some body sway and buffeting in high winds that I never felt before. I am leaning towards Bilstein 4600s after reading several threads on here. My truck is stock ride height and will remain so. I want a good handling firm ride but I do use this truck exclusively on road and lots of highway driving so I value comfort as well. The only towing I do is my annual trip to East Tennessee with three bikes on my bike trailer and the bed full of tools and parts. Looking for advice as to if the Bilsteins will foot the bill. Thanks in advance.
With GM putting Bilstein's on the Z71 models you really can't go wrong. KYB gas would be my second choice.

90gmcsierraL59

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Limited time today but I did manage to get the LH rear shock removed and replaced. It took extensions and a wiggle socket with my butterfly impact to get the top bolts and nuts after a generous application of PB Blaster as the shocks have been on there 20 years. One down and three to go.
You must be registered for see images attach

It is quite tight up in there.