Shocks on a Budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
A long time ago, I bought Bilsteins. At the time Autozone had the best deal on them. I ran them for quite some time, and for some reason or another I was getting a hopping tire, or rear axle. I decided the shocks must be bad, or possibly contributing to the axle hop, so I replaced them with some low-end KYBs that I got on clearance from Rockauto. I noticed that the old Bilsteins seemed to be stiffer than the new KYBs when operated by hand, but they were new, so on they went. No change in the hop. I think it ended up being the tires. A few years pass, and I decided to put the old Bilsteins back on the rear of the truck. I could immediately feel the differance in the ride. Much more controlled. Moral of the story is that Bilsteins may be expensive, but they'll last many more miles than a cheap shock.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A long time ago, I bought Bilsteins. At the time Autozone had the best deal on them. I ran them for quite some time, and for some reason or another I was getting a hopping tire, or rear axle. I decided the shocks must be bad, or possibly contributing to the axle hop, so I replaced them with some low-end KYBs that I got on clearance from Rockauto. I noticed that the old Bilsteins seemed to be stiffer than the new KYBs when operated by hand, but they were new, so on they went. No change in the hop. I think it ended up being the tires. A few years pass, and I decided to put the old Bilsteins back on the rear of the truck. I could immediately feel the differance in the ride. Much more controlled. Moral of the story is that Bilsteins may be expensive, but they'll last many more miles than a cheap shock.
Similar story. On my then new 2018 Z71 it came with Rancho shocks, when I put Bilstein 5100’s on, it totally transformed the suspension. Not saying you can’t buy good Rancho shocks, but I’ll bet the the stock installed ones are about the cheapest they make.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You didn't mention what you will be towing....
Based on member recommendations in another thread I bought the Gabriel "Max Control". About $45/ea. The most I ever tow is a 4x8 trailer full of green firewood. Truck handles well.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
An tbh in the money saved I feel that it wouldn’t be all that much less at $75-100 each plus you know unequivocally that the bilsteins last and perform any and all tasks. But that’s just me now I have a proposal for you I have HD shocks and want to go back to the regular bilsteins if I took them off and say $225 with shipping all 4 would you be interested? There’s plenty of life left on them as their more built up than standard ones as their for a HD model? Just an ask?

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
Thank you all once again for replying. I ended up biting the bullet and get the KYB MonoMax just the rears at the moment. Had no plans of doing shocks, but upon putting in the trailer hitch/receiver, I noticed a crack in the rear shock. When I asked my Fiancé to get in the cab and do a light check (she ain't heavy by no means) I watched the rear of the truck (not her) sag a little. Fortunately I got the driver's rear done yesterday, was going to try to get the passenger rear today.
I showed her the driver's shock I took off, she was amazed has I could compress it with 2 fingers. Her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree with the 2 finger action. :Big Laugh:

RubnOneOut

Reaction score
You didn't mention what you will be towing....
Based on member recommendations in another thread I bought the Gabriel "Max Control". About $45/ea. The most I ever tow is a 4x8 trailer full of green firewood. Truck handles well.
Im sorry, Double jetski trailer, 4x8 trailer for lawn equipment and such, possible small camper.