Steering woes on a 91 K2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redline5th92

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've just made an account here, as I've been looking for some help with a problem I'm having. I apologize if I've posted in the wrong place, I'm still getting a feel of the forum.

I have a 1991 GMC K2500 that I've been putting back together for the last little while. The problem I've got is this awful steering. At low speed, its wonderful. One finger steering. At speeds over 40, its pretty intense. No road feel, feels like I'm driving on ice. Very minimal resistance in the wheel. It also is unwilling to return to center after completing a turn.
I have improved it some, but i still feel like theres more i need to do.

I have replaced... Rag joint, Pitman, idler, drag link, tie rod ends and damper.
I've replaced upper control arm bushings and ball joint, as well as the wheel bearings and shocks The lower ball joints seems to be in pretty good shape.
Its got a new P.S Pump in it, as well as a reman steering gear. Ive confirmed that the pump matches the specifications of the factory one. I cheaped out on the steering gear and bought a remanned Lares, but im going to upgrade it to a redhead or a blue top in the future.

I had a 96 C1500 a while ago that did NOT steer this crappy, and that makes me suspicious that ive missed something here. As far as im aware, my truck was not equipped with the EVO. Are these trucks pretty overboosted stock? Or have i overlooked something? This is the oldest OBS truck ive had, and im curious what a dedicated forum will have to say. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1991 K2500.jpg
    1991 K2500.jpg
    448.1 KB · Views: 17

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The aftermarket damper will not allow it go go back to center easily. Try removing that first and see if your other issues go away as well.

Redline5th92

Reaction score
I’ll try that out. Did they not come stock with the damper? It was on there when I got it. The shock in it was an AC Delco shock, so I assumed it was stock.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
You must have a heavier-duty 2500? Eight lug wheels?

My truck is a lighter duty 2500 with six lug wheels, and it does not have a steering damper. My previous truck, a 2000 K3500, did have one.

BlueManLou

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've just made an account here, as I've been looking for some help with a problem I'm having. I apologize if I've posted in the wrong place, I'm still getting a feel of the forum.

I have a 1991 GMC K2500 that I've been putting back together for the last little while. The problem I've got is this awful steering. At low speed, its wonderful. One finger steering. At speeds over 40, its pretty intense. No road feel, feels like I'm driving on ice. Very minimal resistance in the wheel. It also is unwilling to return to center after completing a turn.
I have improved it some, but i still feel like theres more i need to do.

I have replaced... Rag joint, Pitman, idler, drag link, tie rod ends and damper.
I've replaced upper control arm bushings and ball joint, as well as the wheel bearings and shocks The lower ball joints seems to be in pretty good shape.
Its got a new P.S Pump in it, as well as a reman steering gear. Ive confirmed that the pump matches the specifications of the factory one. I cheaped out on the steering gear and bought a remanned Lares, but im going to upgrade it to a redhead or a blue top in the future.

I had a 96 C1500 a while ago that did NOT steer this crappy, and that makes me suspicious that ive missed something here. As far as im aware, my truck was not equipped with the EVO. Are these trucks pretty overboosted stock? Or have i overlooked something? This is the oldest OBS truck ive had, and im curious what a dedicated forum will have to say. Thanks in advance!
Nice Truck!