Dug into my front suspension today. Now I have a steering knuckle question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
You folks have to get new TITLES for your vehicles? That's just crazy.
My stepson told me Rhode Island will now require titles to sell any vehicle, no matter how old (though I have not confirmed this - his info is not 100 percent reliable). Used to be only vehicles 2001 or newer needed a title.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Ya know... I really thought I was done finding creepy crawlies in this damned truck. I assume this is a spiders nest? It flew out at me when I sprayed compressed air up into the bump stop bracket/UCA area.

You must be registered for see images attach

Anyway, the bump stop bracket is fixed. I know it doesn't look great, but it only has to pass inspection.

Now, a quick look at the passenger side frame where the Tbar crossmember was mounted.

I don't like all that crust in there. It's not, however, rotted all the way through. I was able to scrape that crap out of there with a screwdriver, gave it a quick once-over with a 60 grit sanding disc on the angle grinder, and sprayed the whole shebang with Metal Ready. It'll be ready for a rattle can in a few hours.

Also, I went ahead and installed the upper control arms. Brandy new from Rock Auto. Damned if I got a pic :mad:.

I'm waiting on two more things: The rubber mounts that go on either end of the Tbar crossmember and a passenger side steering knuckle. Time and the weather have not been cooperating, so I have yet to go trudging through the yard to find that knuckle.

OH! I almost forgot, I need to order the actual bump stop so I can make use of the newly repaired bracket, lol.

More as it happens. Stay Tuned.
Sorry I am late posting a write up on repairing rotted front bump stop brackets. You did yours slightly differently, but still looks good. Did you get the actual rubber bump stops yet? OEM ones are still available.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry I am late posting a write up on repairing rotted front bump stop brackets. You did yours slightly differently, but still looks good. Did you get the actual rubber bump stops yet? OEM ones are still available.
Where? Rock Auto says out of stock. Ebay has them.... for $73 + shipping. NO!!

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
Where? Rock Auto says out of stock. Ebay has them.... for $73 + shipping. NO!!
Hi, I just finished posting my write-up, titled,

How I Repaired Missing Front Bump Stops​

I know you've already begun re-doing yours, but thought you might be interested anyway.

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
The tab portion on these look slightly different than the bump stops I used. Maybe they would work with modification. The price sure is better, anyway.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

www.gmt400.com/threads/how-i-repaired-missing-front-bump-stops.65243/

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I know you've already begun re-doing yours, but thought you might be interested anyway.

Just read through your write up. Nice job! If I ever have to do my passenger side, I'll be using that as a reference.

Even though those are reasonably priced, Summit's website says they don't fit a GMT400. I can't imagine, however, it would be difficult to make them fit. I'm going to go ahead to pick some up. Thanks for the link.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

So, here's the best video I could find with minimal searching, on how to reinstall those damned torsion keys. It's for an 01 to 10, but the concept is the exact same. I've noticed that BOTH ends of the Tbar are free before trying to line the key up.

I don't see how installation is going to be possible WITHOUT taking the Tbar out of the LCA. I have the suggested tool now. If I have to, I'll use that and the torch to remove the Tbar from the LCA.

Suggestions?