Dug into my front suspension today. Now I have a steering knuckle question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've only seen the medium wheelbase SUVs, 4 door Tahoe & Yukon, with different torsion bar x-members.

Or said this way, I've seen pickups, Suburban, and 2 door Blazer, that have the 54" torsion bars have the bracket and rubber bushings. The crossmember for the 52" bars, on the 4 door Tahoe & Yukon, is suspended by dog bone mounts.

I'll have to look at my truck. I had no idea there were two different lengths.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant for the rubber mounts. The not knowing about different lengths was an add-on thought.

They're both mounted with rubber. The mounted plate style x-member has the rubber surround, and the brackets from post #59 & #76.
As for the 4-door Tahoe/Yukon, the x-member is hung, dangling on a set of dog bones

Attachments

• AMG_K700701_P04_ANG.jpg
    AMG_K700701_P04_ANG.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 2

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little progress today. I got all the rotted metal cut out of the bump stop bracket.

You must be registered for see images attach

Then, I make one solid piece to go all the way around. Not too bad for my first time ever using a metal brake (which, I had purchased one specifically for this job). In hindsight, I wish I would have bought said brake when I was doing the rear frame repair. It would have been MUCH easier!

So, I got that part welded on, and looked up underneath to realize I have more work to do. Part of my brain says spray some rust preventative up inside there. Part of me says WHY? It's just going to rust out anyway.

Ok! I'll post more progress as it happens. Stay Tuned.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya know... I really thought I was done finding creepy crawlies in this damned truck. I assume this is a spiders nest? It flew out at me when I sprayed compressed air up into the bump stop bracket/UCA area.

Anyway, the bump stop bracket is fixed. I know it doesn't look great, but it only has to pass inspection.

Now, a quick look at the passenger side frame where the Tbar crossmember was mounted.

I don't like all that crust in there. It's not, however, rotted all the way through. I was able to scrape that crap out of there with a screwdriver, gave it a quick once-over with a 60 grit sanding disc on the angle grinder, and sprayed the whole shebang with Metal Ready. It'll be ready for a rattle can in a few hours.

Also, I went ahead and installed the upper control arms. Brandy new from Rock Auto. Damned if I got a pic :mad:.

I'm waiting on two more things: The rubber mounts that go on either end of the Tbar crossmember and a passenger side steering knuckle. Time and the weather have not been cooperating, so I have yet to go trudging through the yard to find that knuckle.

OH! I almost forgot, I need to order the actual bump stop so I can make use of the newly repaired bracket, lol.

More as it happens. Stay Tuned.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the steering knuckle is the same among JN3, JB5, JB6 brakes...but the hub/bearing installed in the knuckles of JN3-brake trucks is different.

If possible, verify rotor thickness before wasting time removing the knuckle. You want a steering knuckle that had the same rotors as what your truck has.

That, or you might have to change hub/bearing assembly before you put the knuckle on your truck.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the steering knuckle is the same among JN3, JB5, JB6 brakes...but the hub/bearing installed in the knuckles of JN3-brake trucks is different.

If possible, verify rotor thickness before wasting time removing the knuckle. You want a steering knuckle that had the same rotors as what your truck has.

That, or you might have to change hub/bearing assembly before you put the knuckle on your truck.

So are you saying the JN3 has a thicker or thinner rotor? My RPO sticker is all but unreadable, so that info is important.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But JN/JB3 was discontinued about '91--'92, and so far as I know, only used on regular-cab trucks. Extended-cabs got 5s.

Same diameter, but 3 is thinner than 5/6.