Upper Shock Mount Dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidrifa

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After many years of fantasizing lowering (or what some may call ruining) my '92 K1500 Single Cab, I finally had it fitted with a 3/5 drop kit, which aesthetically, I am ever so satisfied with. The kit consisted of your typical flip kit in the rear and lowering keys in the front, however, as being somewhat inexperienced when it comes to vehicle work, I made the mistake of keeping the original shocks. As you can imagine, as a result of the truck being lowered, the ride quality was unbearably rough, a byproduct of the shocks being at an unnatural angle and nearly fully compressed at rest.

To address this issue, I went ahead and ordered some Belltech street performance drop shocks, rear lower shock extensions and upper shock relocation kit to return the shock angle back to optimum and allow for proper shock travel. When installing said parts, I noticed that the rear upper shock mount was angled, as opposed to parallel with the frame, which is shown in the installation instructions. As such, I am not able to install the upper shock relocation kit.

I am debating either scavenging my local junk yard for C1500 rear upper shock mounts or just returning the ordered upper kit and proceed with only the drop shocks and lower shock extenders. The current angled shock mount seems to be riveted in, however, I do not believe removing it and bolting in the C1500 mount will be much of an issue. Anyways, feedback is greatly appreciated on how I should proceed, thank you for your time!

Parts Used:
https://www.belltech.com/belltech-88-98-gm-1-2-ton-upper-shock-mount-6658.html Upper relocation Kit
https://www.belltech.com/belltech-88-98-gm-1-5-ton-rear-6652.html Lower Shock Extensions
https://www.belltech.com/belltech-street-performance-front-lowered-2105gd.html Front Shocks
https://www.belltech.com/belltech-street-performance-rear-lowered-2212if.html Rear Shocks
HD Suspensions 3/5 flip kit and Drop Keys (Could not Link)

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After many years of fantasizing lowering (or what some may call ruining) my '92 K1500 Single Cab, I finally had it fitted with a 3/5 drop kit, which aesthetically, I am ever so satisfied with. The kit consisted of your typical flip kit in the rear and lowering keys in the front, however, as being somewhat inexperienced when it comes to vehicle work, I made the mistake of keeping the original shocks. As you can imagine, as a result of the truck being lowered, the ride quality was unbearably rough, a byproduct of the shocks being at an unnatural angle and nearly fully compressed at rest.

To address this issue, I went ahead and ordered some Belltech street performance drop shocks, rear lower shock extensions and upper shock relocation kit to return the shock angle back to optimum and allow for proper shock travel. When installing said parts, I noticed that the rear upper shock mount was angled, as opposed to parallel with the frame, which is shown in the installation instructions. As such, I am not able to install the upper shock relocation kit.

I am debating either scavenging my local junk yard for C1500 rear upper shock mounts or just returning the ordered upper kit and proceed with only the drop shocks and lower shock extenders. The current angled shock mount seems to be riveted in, however, I do not believe removing it and bolting in the C1500 mount will be much of an issue. Anyways, feedback is greatly appreciated on how I should proceed, thank you for your time!

Parts Used:
https://www.belltech.com/belltech-88-98-gm-1-2-ton-upper-shock-mount-6658.html Upper relocation Kit
https://www.belltech.com/belltech-88-98-gm-1-5-ton-rear-6652.html Lower Shock Extensions
https://www.belltech.com/belltech-street-performance-front-lowered-2105gd.html Front Shocks
https://www.belltech.com/belltech-street-performance-rear-lowered-2212if.html Rear Shocks
HD Suspensions 3/5 flip kit and Drop Keys (Could not Link)
Do you have any pictures of what's going on?
A little hard to visualize (it's also 01:50 and I should be sleeping, lol)
I was having issues with the lower extensions on my truck, I reached out to Belltech via email and they responded reasonably quick. So you may wanna touch base with them as well.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After inputting your truck in the Belltech website, it says those upper extensions are not available for your truck, now the part about getting C1500 shock mounts make sense.

Hopefully someone else has some idea about that as I sure don't wanna be the one to say that's OK!!! Lol

I didn't realize that there was a difference between the C & K series upper shock mounts, there is probably some good reason for that.

davidrifa

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Do you have any pictures of what's going on?
A little hard to visualize (it's also 01:50 and I should be sleeping, lol)
I was having issues with the lower extensions on my truck, I reached out to Belltech via email and they responded reasonably quick. So you may wanna touch base with them as well.
The lowers shock extender fit fine, I have them loose for now, as you can see the angled upper shock mount is not allowing for the upper relocator.

Attachments

• IMG_1238.jpeg
    IMG_1238.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1240.jpeg
    IMG_1240.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1241.jpeg
    IMG_1241.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1242.jpeg
    IMG_1242.jpeg
    273.4 KB · Views: 15

davidrifa

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After inputting your truck in the Belltech website, it says those upper extensions are not available for your truck, now the part about getting C1500 shock mounts make sense.

Hopefully someone else has some idea about that as I sure don't wanna be the one to say that's OK!!! Lol

I didn't realize that there was a difference between the C & K series upper shock mounts, there is probably some good reason for that.
Yea, my guess for the angle is to compensate when it was lifted? Anyways with the truck being lowered, you would think the c1500 upper shock mount with relocator would be optimal, but definitely would like some confirmation.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can see it now quite clearly. Ya, that's not gonna work.
I have no idea why they would be different from a 2wd as I'm not an engineer.
I really don't wanna steer you to swapping them out for 2wd ones as I don't know enough.
Hopefully someone who has more information than me can help with this issue.
Guess that's why most don't lower a 4x4, but I'm not judging, I almost jacked mine up pre-runner style.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to be captain obvious but have you tried both upper relocation brackets on either side? Upside down and backwards? :Big Laugh:

davidrifa

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to be captain obvious but have you tried both upper relocation brackets on either side? Upside down and backwards? :Big Laugh:
Unfortunately, I have tried that, it is the angle of the k1500 mount that is not allowing for installation. I have some c1500 upper shock mounts on the way, I’m thinking this will resolve the incompatibility.

davidrifa

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can see it now quite clearly. Ya, that's not gonna work.
I have no idea why they would be different from a 2wd as I'm not an engineer.
I really don't wanna steer you to swapping them out for 2wd ones as I don't know enough.
Hopefully someone who has more information than me can help with this issue.
Guess that's why most don't lower a 4x4, but I'm not judging, I almost jacked mine up pre-runner style.
I went ahead and ordered the c1500 mounts, going to give it a shot. The gentlemen I called at Belltech did not see why it should not work. I’ll update when they arrive.

Pre-runner OBS would be awesome, looking back, maybe should have gone that route…