Front Passenger upper shock mount broken off frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good picture tells a thousand words. I think a big part of the problem is that the original shock mount was designed to take an up and down force but that shock hoop has transferred the load to an in and out force and that is why they have both broken just above where they are welded to the frame. It's a simple case of metal fatigue that is going to keep returning unless you can brace the upper section of the original shock mount that is flexing.
Another point I will make about the use of shock hoops in this instance is that the length from the end where the shocks mount to the base verses the distance between the mounting points mean that the shock force is multiplied about 3x to where it pushes against the factory shock mount. And that force is at 90 degrees to what that mount was designed for, so no matter how you weld up that broken mount it will probably keep breaking over time.

classman

Reaction score
man that weld is ugly... probably going to have to find a donor vehicle for a replacement mount, or fabricate something if you need to fix it. I'm not that familiar with K3500's if the shock mount is bolted or welded to the frame?
The front upper shock mount is welded to the frame of the 1992 K3500