What shock extensions for 6 in drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this issue recently, due to my flip ... I was thinking about getting some of those fancy snubbers that are kind of like an airbag that doesn't need air.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this issue recently, due to my flip ... I was thinking about getting some of those fancy snubbers that are kind of like an airbag that doesn't need air.
Downside to that approach is no adjustment. I'm a firm believer in helpers. Had them on the last 4 static trucks I've owned, and whatever arrives next will get them as well.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Downside to that approach is no adjustment. I'm a firm believer in helpers. Had them on the last 4 static trucks I've owned, and whatever arrives next will get them as well.

You have to get the length right and after that you can move the mounting location, but not as easy as pressing a button. Conversely there is nothing to leak and nothing electrical to fail.

I've just been thinking about it though, haven't made up my mind.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have to get the length right and after that you can move the mounting location, but not as easy as pressing a button. Conversely there is nothing to leak and nothing electrical to fail.

I've just been thinking about it though, haven't made up my mind.
I’m getting Timbrens for mine. If I want to get bags later I might.

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The reason you stated for installing air shocks (i.e. the issue at hand) is better solved by helper bags. Hence my response. Then you said you just wanna install air shocks, hence my second response.
Airlift makes a helper bag setup specifically for lowered trucks, I have a set on my NBS daily. If you go that route I suggest getting the onboard compressor kit as well, makes life far easier.
their website shows this as the best option, and it specifically states it will work with a notch, but i just dont see how thats going to fit. my notch is wider than the factory bump bracket seen in the pic, and then extends at least 4 inches out past that with the bolting surface.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could probably use air shocks for a 68-72 Chevelle, Monte Carlo, or Impala. But I suggest you get the specs on the drop shocks and try to find some air shocks that are a close match to the lengths. Some of the manufactures or parts house web sites have the length specs.

I have no experience with air shocks though, that's just how I would go about it.
72 chevelle seems to be very close except the bottom bolt being 1/2 instead of 9/16 so i ordered a set from amazon to see if they will work.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just havent had time and not sure how to access it with the cut off wheel and the axle in the way. Been working on the Mrs. 85 cj for the last 6 weeks so the obs has been just being enjoyed.

I just jacked it up, put the frame on stands and then let the axle drop.
Definitely not my best work, had to get into some awkward positions that's for sure!!! Lol

Doing it with the bed off would have been my preferred way, but unfortunately didn't have the manpower available to help with it. Doing the notches on the same brace, but above the frame on each side was an adventure as well!!

Beason

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I just jacked it up, put the frame on stands and then let the axle drop.
Definitely not my best work, had to get into some awkward positions that's for sure!!! Lol

Doing it with the bed off would have been my preferred way, but unfortunately didn't have the manpower available to help with it. Doing the notches on the same brace, but above the frame on each side was an adventure as well!!
what is the goal of notching above the frame, did you do a body drop?