Shock extension help needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having trouble with the driver side shock extension installation. They are Belltech's going on a 91 RCSB. The part number matches the packing list in the instructions. Passenger side had to have the holes hogged out a little bit to get the bolt through, but not bad.
The driver side is another story altogether. The bolt holes are almost off the entire hole. I marked where they should be needed in yellow.
Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

1stbpic is passenger side. Note the curve on the extension follows the stock mount and on the driver side not so much. Both have the same part number. So frustrated.
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a left and right? Did you try swapping them left and right? I'd call bell tech before any cutting or drilling to confirm you have right parts.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a left and right? Did you try swapping them left and right? I'd call bell tech before any cutting or drilling to confirm you have right parts.
I did try swapping them side to side. And I did fire off a email to Belltech yesterday.
Believe me, drilling and grinding is the last thing I want to do.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you post a photo of the OE shock bracket?

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm gone for the week, well Thursday this week. I'll see if I can convince the boy to crawl under and take a pic.
Whatcha thinking???
I’ll get a photo of mine tomorrow. Basically, I had a similar issue but I ended up not having the two mating surfaces fully together. A photo will help with my explanation.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ll get a photo of mine tomorrow. Basically, I had a similar issue but I ended up not having the two mating surfaces fully together. A photo will help with my explanation.
I think I know where you are going with your thoughts. If you look at my second pic, it is fully seated for a lack of better explanation, as tight up against the OEM mount as possible. I could almost get the bolt through, but it was nowhere tight up against the mount.
I looked at it a bunch of times, thinking if I grind a little bit here, a little bit there, that it would line up. And I couldn't envision it working with the holes being off by as much as they are.
Hopefully Belltech gets back to me. These have been installed on thousands of trucks, it can't be rocket surgery.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I know where you are going with your thoughts. If you look at my second pic, it is fully seated for a lack of better explanation, as tight up against the OEM mount as possible. I could almost get the bolt through, but it was nowhere tight up against the mount.
I looked at it a bunch of times, thinking if I grind a little bit here, a little bit there, that it would line up. And I couldn't envision it working with the holes being off by as much as they are.
Hopefully Belltech gets back to me. These have been installed on thousands of trucks, it can't be rocket surgery.
Yes, you’re on the same page as me. Ok, cool. I will get a photo tomorrow of mine fully installed.

I’m assuming the OE mount is straight? I’ve seen some that are tweaked.

You are correct, these have been installed in so many of these trucks. Gotta be something simple. Belltech seems to be responsive.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess here's an update for anyone following this.
Basically Belltech said we have sold and installed thousands of these and no one has ever had an issue. So feel free to modify it to make it work.
I work at a industrial plant that has an awesome fab shop. They take on "gov't" jobs all the time. They made a set of extenders for a co-worker to put on his Impala. So hopefully they can help out either modifying this one or making up a new one from scratch.
I'll keep you posted on any updates.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I saw a different brand but I thought these went flat-flat across the back side, then a hole was drilled for a separate bolt.

Second thought… looks like it’s close enough to just pivot down to line the current holes up. So what if the flat isn’t flat? It’s not going anywhere :shrug: