90 GMC Sierra1500 SLE Shortbed Stepside shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Limited time today but I did manage to get the LH rear shock removed and replaced. It took extensions and a wiggle socket with my butterfly impact to get the top bolts and nuts after a generous application of PB Blaster as the shocks have been on there 20 years. One down and three to go.

It is quite tight up in there.
Ya....it was a LOT easier when I did mine, no exhaust or spare in the way!! Lol
But was fighting 20+ years of Canadian rust as well.
Gonna feel like a new truck when you get done.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have a light weight pickup, with the shell installed it acts like big ship sail, and a crosswind is going affect it. To counter it, sway bars, upgrade shocks, some weight in the bed to resist wind pressure. Wind velocity, area of side vehicle formula for how force is pushing you sideways.

90gmcsierraL59

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Had to improvise, adapt and overcome to mount the RH rear shock this morning. It was about 1/4 inch from lining up and I wasn't strong enough to line it up with a punch and push the bolt through. So I got a piece of pipe and a piece of wood and lowered the truck until it lined up and bolt went right in.

Last edited:

90gmcsierraL59

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I fooled around with my butterfly impact and a ratchet wrench and vise-grips for about 15 minutes trying to get the nuts off of the front shocks, then I grabbed my cut off wheel and cut both of them off. The bottom bolts came right out after soaking with PB Blaster.

90gmcsierraL59

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Took the truck out for a test drive yesterday and the handling is so much better. The ride is firm but not harsh and it feels much more stable in tight curves. I heartily recommend the Bilsteins for anyone considering a set of shocks. After the test drive we took the topper off to install sealing tape for my trip to Deals Gap. More to follow.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the front upper shock mount bolt I always just put a socket on a long extension and bend the hardware until it breaks.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For the front upper shock mount bolt I always just put a socket on a long extension and bend the hardware until it breaks.
Damn....I knew I was doing it wrong when I took mine off and almost wanted to burn the truck to the ground!!! Lol
They certainly don't make it easy.

Oldman69

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. Going to install my Bilstein's tomorrow. But did give all the nuts and bolts a squirt of loosen of up juice. Glad to see you did not drop the spare as it looks tight and my spare has never been removed nore do I know how to.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. Going to install my Bilstein's tomorrow. But did give all the nuts and bolts a squirt of loosen of up juice. Glad to see you did not drop the spare as it looks tight and my spare has never been removed nore do I know how to.
There is a hole in the bumper on the right side of the plate. You stick the extensions together that should hopefully be in the truck with the jack. Look underneath the truck and there is a metal "tube" that stops short of the bumper but goes over the top of the spare. It runs at an angle.
Look through the hole and there is a female end of that tube, stick the extensions in there and turn counter clockwise.
Don't be surprised if it's seized up if you're in a rusty area.