What shocks with factory 22s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seannana

Reaction score
What’s up guys I have a 1998 Silverado K1500 on stock suspension. I put 22 inch snowflakes and the front shocks don’t seem to enjoy it. They’re the Bilstein 4600s. Any suggestions on what to run with the bigger wheels?

If there is already a thread on this i apologize i tried searching and couldn’t find anything for stock suspension.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
maybe avoid potholes? It wasn't 22s but I put bigger rims on a Tahoe I had, and had zero effect on the shocks. I'd say something else is going on. Granted the bigger the rim the more heavy, but I'd say it's effecting something other than shocks....

seannana

Reaction score
maybe avoid potholes? It wasn't 22s but I put bigger rims on a Tahoe I had, and had zero effect on the shocks. I'd say something else is going on. Granted the bigger the rim the more heavy, but I'd say it's effecting something other than shocks....
Unfortunately I’ve lived in Philly my whole life so it’s unavoidable. I’ll just move haha. But you may be right. I’ll dig deeper once i can get it on a lift

seannana

Reaction score
Wheel weight could have an effect. But I'm wondering how much of this phenomenon is related to the significantly shorter tire sidewall no longer absorbing impacts like the factory size would.
You might be dead on with this one. Didn’t even think about that

seannana

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses fellas. I’ll dig into it my next days off.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A lower profile tire is always going to be a stiffer side wall. Regular bumps and seams in road surface will always be felt more with lower profile. Some can be overcome with matching shocks to tire type. What the factory does, a tuned suspension setup.
It's one the price to pay for wide low profile performance tires.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No such thing as a factory 22 on these trucks. I get it that you're running 22" replicas of a factory wheel though. They're massively heavy and you will feel all that weight when driving. Some high quality shocks *might* help, like some Belltech Street Performance shocks.

Richard