90 headlight questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I bought these lmc truck headlight housings for my 90 c1500, and I was hoping to maximize the light output. (Obviously led bulbs instead of halogens) but I have heard that 9012’s work better than the factory 9005’s (low beams?) and I would be more than happy to put some of them in to make my low beams brighter. LMC also offers a wiring harness to run the lights straight off the battery, which I’m not against if it makes all 4 lights brighter, also would these housing be called a composite headlight? So if I buy the wiring harness I can get the right one. Or something else? I will attach the picture of the new housing and any brand suggestions for les bulbs are welcome too. Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, that style of housing with the removable 9005/9006 bulbs are commonly referred to as "composite" headlights. 9006 bulbs in the low beam, 9005 in the high beam.

@5vortec7 produces and sells a much better version of the HD headlight harness than the LMC one IMO. Here's a link to his thread.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/hd-headlight-harnesses-w-4-high-mod.45669/

Regarding drop-in LEDs in housings designed for halogens, don't. Or at the very least only run them in your high beams so they're not on while you're in traffic. They may be brighter than the factory halogens, but they also throw light all over the place and will create glare and hot spots. Upgrading your headlight wiring and using good halogens in your low beams is a much better plan.

Yes, you can modify 9011/9012 HIR bulbs to fit in 9005/9006 sockets and they will be brighter than 9005/9006s. But DO NOT use the 9012s in your low beams unless there is a "glare cap" over the low beam bulb in your headlight housings. It looks like the ones in your picture from LMC do have glare caps, but you'll want to make sure before you plan on doing that. Reason being, 9006 bulbs have a painted tip from the factory and 9012s do not.

Here's an image that describes the trimming required to make 9011/9012 HIR bulbs fit into 9005/9006 sockets.

You must be registered for see images attach

Logan R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok all good info so far, couple things. So you don’t recommend drop in leds, so what should I use for halogens to get that led white look and maximize light output? And that wiring kit seems expensive to me at 175$ I get it’s quality, but it looked like to me it included the high and low beam light turning on together for highs kit?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
This thread is mainly about Arteb headlights but also has some great info on bulbs!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
so what should I use for halogens to get that led white look and maximize light output?

Unfortunately, you really don't want the super white LED color if you want the best light performance. The more yellow light of traditional halogens is easier for your eyes to use and adjust to at night, especially in bad weather. I know a lot of people think the white LEDs look better, but it's kind of a form over function thing. Most of the halogen bulbs that do reproduce that white color range accomplish it by coating the glass with a blue tint which reduces light output and potentially shortens the bulb lifespan. You're better off avoiding the blue coated bulbs all together in most situations. However there is one option with some blue coating I'm aware of that might be at least close to what you're looking for, Philips NightGuide Platinum halogens. They're the successor (at least in the USA) to the Philips X-tremeVision series (mentioned in the thread that RichLo linked), which also had some blue on the glass, but in this case it's not entirely for cosmetic reasons. FWIU, Philips puts the blue coating in non-critical areas of the bulb glass on these to keep them within legal brightness specifications. In other words, they use that blue coating just to dim the bulbs down to a legal output level. They're still not going to look like the same color as most white LEDs, but they'll be closer than most halogens and the old X-tremeVisions they're replacing were long regarded as the brightest (legal) halogen bulb series on the market. The new NightGuide Platinums have more of the blue on the glass than the old X-tremeVisions did which kind of bummed me out, but it might produce a whiter light than the old X-tremeVisions. Here's a link to the NightGuide Platinums in 9006 (low beam).

www.amazon.com/dp/B099GJRN41

And that wiring kit seems expensive to me at 175$ I get it’s quality, but it looked like to me it included the high and low beam light turning on together for highs kit?

Yes, the 4-Hi mod is included in the harness that 5vortec7 makes.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you really don't want the super white LED color if you want the best light performance. The more yellow light of traditional halogens is easier for your eyes to use and adjust to at night, especially in bad weather. I know a lot of people think the white LEDs look better, but it's kind of a form over function thing. Most of the halogen bulbs that do reproduce that white color range accomplish it by coating the glass with a blue tint which reduces light output and potentially shortens the bulb lifespan. You're better off avoiding the blue coated bulbs all together in most situations. However there is one option with some blue coating I'm aware of that might be at least close to what you're looking for, Philips NightGuide Platinum halogens. They're the successor (at least in the USA) to the Philips X-tremeVision series (mentioned in the thread that RichLo linked), which also had some blue on the glass, but in this case it's not entirely for cosmetic reasons. FWIU, Philips puts the blue coating in non-critical areas of the bulb glass on these to keep them within legal brightness specifications. In other words, they use that blue coating just to dim the bulbs down to a legal output level. They're still not going to look like the same color as most white LEDs, but they'll be closer than most halogens and the old X-tremeVisions they're replacing were long regarded as the brightest (legal) halogen bulb series on the market. The new NightGuide Platinums have more of the blue on the glass than the old X-tremeVisions did which kind of bummed me out, but it might produce a whiter light than the old X-tremeVisions. Here's a link to the NightGuide Platinums in 9006 (low beam).

www.amazon.com/dp/B099GJRN41

Yes, the 4-Hi mod is included in the harness that 5vortec7 makes.
Very interesting,I might have to get a pair of those guys. Front lighting is one area where these trucks need some help! Especially the one ton since it's taller....now that we're getting where it's dark by 8pm again.