Arteb Brazil GMT400 headlight users thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is for the users of the GM Brazil / Arteb reflectors to post their experiences.

Topics are, at least:

- installation / integral drain tubes / lubrication of aim adjusters
- aiming
- HB3/HB4 bulb selection
- related modifications (4-high)
- use of integral "driving light" / bulb selection

The existing thread "Acquiring Arteb Brazil GMT400 headlight reflectors" should be used for posts regarding other matters, however related.

Welcome!

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Regarding low/high beam bulb selection...

First off, I'm a strong advocate of using whatever bulb type your housings/reflectors were originally designed for. Mixing and matching seldom (if ever) works out well. For example, using drop-in LEDs in housings originally designed for halogens (like the Artebs) will negatively effect your light pattern and put a lot of light in placed it's not supposed to be which can be irritating to others around you. You can't properly imitate the 360° output of a filament with a multi-sided LED board. For that reason, the rest of my post will be focused on suitable halogen bulbs.

Cutting straight to the chase, to the best of my knowledge the brightest 9005 (HB3) and 9006 (HB4) halogens on the market are the Philips X-tremeVision. If you want the brightest suitable factory low and high beam bulbs that will drop in with no modifications, these are what you need.

Philips X-tremeVision 9005 (HB3):
www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tremeVision-Upgrade-Headlight-Vision/dp/B01C5QY7DW

Philips X-tremeVision 9006 (HB4):
www.amazon.com/Philips-X-tremeVision-Upgraded-Headlight-Vision/dp/B00U1OLM1Q

EDIT - Philips has replaced the X-TremeVision series of bulbs in the US market with NightGuide Platinum. I'm not sure why, but I believe them to be a very similar (if not identical) product to the old X-TremeVisions. Links below...

Philips NightGuide Platinum 9005:
www.amazon.com/Philips-Automotive-Lighting-NightGuide-Headlight/dp/B099GHXVZ5

Philips NightGuide Platinum 9006:
www.amazon.com/Philips-NightGuide-Platinum-Upgrade-Headlight/dp/B099GJRN41

If you want even more output and don't mind some minor modifications to the bulb bases, you can make 9011/9012 HIR bulbs fit 9005/9006 lamp holders with some simple trimming. Here's a diagram of how to do so.

You must be registered for see images attach

However, personally I would not recommend substituting a 9012 for a 9006 in the low beams of the Artebs. Reason being, the factory 9006 has a painted glare cap and the 9012 HIR does not. Considering the center of the Arteb low beam lenses are not diffused, this could potentially create unnecessary glare/hot spots from the perspective of other drivers.

I see no problem with substituting a 9011 for the factory 9005s in the high beams, though.

Philips standard HIR bulbs are generally very well reputed, and supposedly on-par with much more expensive Voslas used as OEM parts by GM and others.

Philips 9011 HIR:
www.amazon.com/Philips-Standard-Halogen-Replacement-Headlight/dp/B00480J5CW

If you aren't concerned about having the absolute brightest bulbs and would rather have something easier to find in a local parts store or Wal-Mart (The Philips X-tremeVision and HIRs can be hard to find) Sylvania XtraVisions are also a decent choice. You will want to stay away from anything with excessive blue coating on the glass (Sylvania Silverstar for example) as it will reduce output.

Sylvania XtraVision 9005:
www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HI0HY

Sylvania XtraVision 9006:
www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-XtraVision-Halogen-Headlight-Contains/dp/B0031HEIDY

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What kind of life do the Phillip's xtremevisions have?

I just looked them up on the Philips site. The X-tremeVision 9005 and 9006 both seem to be rated for somewhere between 250 and 300 hours but I didn't see a specified voltage, and there's some discrepancies between what's listed in the specs on the website and what the scans of the packaging seem to indicate.

9005:
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/9005XVB2/x-tremevision-upgrade-headlight-bulb

9006:
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/9006XVB2/x-tremevision-upgrade-headlight-bulb

Compare that to the packaging of a standard Philips 9005, which shows a 400 hour average lifespan.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-...05-P20D-Clear-Always-Change-In-Pairs/37683408

So to sort of answer your question, I think it's safe to say they'll burn out much quicker than a normal halogen bulb. But AFAIK that's the case with any "performance" halogen.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I just looked them up on the Philips site. The X-tremeVision 9005 and 9006 both seem to be rated for somewhere between 250 and 300 hours but I didn't see a specified voltage, and there's some discrepancies between what's listed in the specs on the website and what the scans of the packaging seem to indicate.

9005:
https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/9005XVB2/x-tremevision-upgrade-headlight-bulb

The website says 300+ hours for both the Xtreme and the Vision Plus. I just looked on my buying history on Rockauto, and I have Vision Plus low beams... no idea how bright they are since they're in my original lenses. I think my high beams are probably the factory bulbs.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installation of the Arteb brackets and reflectors:

The Arteb brackets and reflectors aren't a challenge to install. A few notes follow, particularly regarding the vent tubes.

It is not possible to re-use the original mounting brackets, the Arteb housings must be used with the Arteb brackets.

Otherwise, the front grill can be removed, the old reflectors / brackets removed and the Arteb brackets / reflectors installed.

Notably, two of the three vent tubes on the Arteb reflectors extend below the reflector for perhaps 2.5" (pictured). The tubes themselves are soft rubber and can be easily removed, replaced, and re-oriented. They should point downward after installation.

Vent tube interference during remove / replace:

I've found the Arteb vent tubes interfere with the front grill IF one tries to install or remove the reflectors while the front grill is in place, e.g., if one needs to change a bulb. What seems to help is to...

- remove the vent tubes from each end of the reflector (the center tube can remain) and then install the reflectors, through the grill, into their brackets

- then remove the turn signal assemblies beneath, and

- reach into the hole, and up, to access the backside of the reflector, and replace the vent tubes

The same steps can be followed, in reverse, to simplify reflector removal.

Attachments

• Reflector and bracket - separated.jpg
    Reflector and bracket - separated.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Low beam vent tube.jpg
    Low beam vent tube.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 71
  • High beam vent tube.jpg
    High beam vent tube.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Center vent tube - view 1.jpg
    Center vent tube - view 1.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Frontal view.jpg
    Frontal view.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:

langkg

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed info. I’m really looking forward to installing them and trying them out.

I’m working through some issues with a HD headlight harness but the seller gave me something to check. Unfortunately I had to button up my truck rebuild to get it ready for custom exhaust so I tore it out and will wait until I have the new ARTEB lights to tear my grill apart again and do both at once.

Question for you all / seeking recommendations: what are you running for your marker light housings? Mine are still the originals and are in tough shape. I like the OE look but want them to compliment the ARTEB headlights.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
A couple of 'Q's.
Do these lights come with bulbs?
If so, are the bulbs the same or equivalent to the original North American spec or are they something specific to S.American/Euro?
Is there even a diff between the 3 continents (Australia, too?) when it comes to those specs? I have seen some mention in my searches as to an 'E-code' bulb. Not something that I've ever been aware of.

Has anyone or are any of the purchasers intending to run LEDs in the Artebs?
I dislike LEDs in these truck's composite housings. They're not optically designed for the LEDs.
The LED bulb's focal point all wrong for the reflector.
LEDs sit too far into the housing, closer to the lens & away from the reflector when compared to where an original style Halogen bulb does. The reflector wasn't designed for the bulb to be in that position. Produces a blob of light as opposed to a properly focused useful beam. (mini-rant!)
So...I'm curios as to what kind of beam would LEDs produce in the Artebs.
With their more pronounced cut-off & apparently, better designed reflectors, would they still have the same inherent issues due the physically limitating design of GMT400 composite headlights in general?
Which brings me back to the 1st question about what type of bulbs, if any, do the Atrebs come with? That would dictate as to what style of bulb the housings are designed around.
Are 'E-code' bulbs something that's equivalent to a typical 9005/9006 or are they S.American/Euro specific?

Posted by; (In the Arteb buyer's thread.)

1998_K1500_Sub

"The W/T front with a set of Hella E-code reflectors and 130/90W H4 bulbs on relays w/ 12ga wire would make a great setup IMHO."

I had some 100/80's in the 5x7's in my '80 El Camino.
A pair of 6" round spots behind the grille with 100w'rs.
All those bulb boxes...
'Off-road use only. Not to be used near public roads or highways.'
Wiring all that in certainly was a learning experience.
Lucky I didn't burn the thing down. Cooked a couple of alternators. Burnt wires. Melted headlight switches.
When I finally got it right...Oooh yea! Let there be bright! Like driving a search light.
Just took one flash to get the slowpokes in the fast lane to move over. Driver's with high beams on coming at me knocked their's down right quick with just a blip of mine. Blasting back roads with all of them on, I could see any animal's eyes 1/2 a mile away.
The spots ran so hot, they'd peel the paint on the grille. I'd have to pull it every 3 or 4 months to repaint it.
Best lights in any vehicle I've had.
Had to laugh every time they got switched on all at once.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of 'Q's.
Do these lights come with bulbs?

No, they're bare (no bulb) but they use a standard HB3/HB4 bulb. That notation is actually molded into the reflector housing (image attached).

Has anyone or are any of the purchasers intending to run LEDs in the Artebs? The reflector wasn't designed for the bulb to be in that position. I'm curios as to what kind of beam would LEDs produce in the Artebs with their more pronounced cut-off & apparently, better designed reflectors.

I would expect an LED bulb in an E-code reflector would really screw up its well defined pattern. I haven't checked this myself but it stands to (my) reason: The only way the reflector can direct the light to the desired location is to have the light sourced from the proper location.

"Screw-up the input and you'll screw up the output."

"GIGO"

Attachments

• Arteb HB3 notation.jpg
    Arteb HB3 notation.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Arteb HB4 notation.jpg
    Arteb HB4 notation.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So...I'm curios as to what kind of beam would LEDs produce in the Artebs.

I can take some pictures when I install my Artebs, as I'm currently running some cheapo AuxBeam 9005/9006 LED replacements in both trucks. I agree with the above comments though, I'm sure they'll screw up the pattern just like they do in all the other composite housings.

I'm planning on switching back to halogens, but not until I upgrade all the wiring and add relays to get the most put of them. Some harnesses from @5vortec7 are probably in my future.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers