1995 GMC K1500 Reconditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Salty K1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a fan of rally wheels with the 3 inch trim rings and center caps ours has these on it in chrome I think they are from a newer truck/van with center caps
You must be registered for see images attach
Yep, I like those too. I think these are the six lug version, which I also really like, especially with the chrome simulators.

Attachments

• W5128S_1172608f-5c99-4534-8a2b-ad54e05a0acb.jpg
    W5128S_1172608f-5c99-4534-8a2b-ad54e05a0acb.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I am a fan of rally wheels with the 3 inch trim rings and center caps ours has these on it in chrome I think they are from a newer truck/van with center caps
Yup those are 800/NBS steelies. Often seen on vans too, there are some in the yards here.

Salty K1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tonight I got the first coat of rust sealer on the rear frame. I used Mastercoat Orginal Permanent Rust Sealer. Goes on pretty nice, and a little goes a long way for sure. The product's instructions state re-coat times are between 3 and 48 hours, so I'll re-coat it tomorrow after work. And sometime on Sunday I'll top coat it with black Rustoleum I have. The product sheets says it can be topped with most paints, so I'm hoping the Rustoleum holds up on there. We shall see.

Last edited:

Salty K1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also started to attack the driver side rear cab mount. Once I get done with the rear frame paint, I plan to move back to finishing up the cab rust repair. I was orginally intending to do all the body work and painting myself, but it's been two years since I've driven it on the road and I'm getting impatient, so I'm just going to pay someone to paint it once it's back together. A lot of stuff to do before that happens though.

Here's a pic of the damage. As you can see, I'll have to repair part of the back wall as well, just as I did on the passenger side. Rust, ewww.

Salty K1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Progress has been slow the last two weeks, but I've got most of the rear frame top coated and looking good, at least for a truck that spent 22 years in the salt. I also got the new spare tire cross member in last night. Went in fairly easy, I was able to get it into place mostly by hitting it with the palm of my hand. Some firm, but fairly light taps with a rubber mallet got it in place the rest of the way. All but one of the bolt holes lined up perfectly. The one that didn't I attempted to move, but it just ended up twisting the frame rail instead. Since I didn't like the idea of putting the frame in tension, I just filed down a small bit of the cross member bolt hole (less than a 1/16th of an inch). I wasn't a fan of doing that either, but it bothered me less than putting torsional strain on the frame. Anyone with a background in structural steel design feel free to correct me on my methods, I haven't had to deal with that since college. Anyway, here's some pics.

Shame the new cross member makes the rest of my pitted up frame look like junk, but short of putting a new frame under the truck, it is what it is. I'll clean up the paint that dripped down on the exhaust.

Here's a list of things I'd like to get done before I send it in for body work and paint.

Reinstall the other spare tire brackets
New leaf springs/bushings
Change rear diff oil/inspect gears
New U-joints
Install new gas tank/fuel lines
Finish cab metal repairs
Finish bed metal repairs
Replace driver door
Fix metal on passenger door
Weld shut holes drilled into back of cab (no idea why those are there)
Replace front quarter panels
Install a new rear bumper, although this doesn't necessarily need to be done yet
Radiator bushings while quarter panels are off
Either new rear window, or get the existing one re-sealed. I'm partial to the rear slider. I'll have someone else do this.
Other things I will have a someone else do, paint/body work, new tires, tire alignment, and patch a rust hole in the drivers side frame, right near the joint where the boxed section meets the C-channel under the firewall.

Not a short list, but if I put in the hours, I think I can have most of this done by late spring. I work two jobs and prioritize family and friends over the truck (although I'm holding off on dating again until this thing is back on the road...probably), so work on this can be sporadic at times, but it will get done.

Last edited:

Jonf

Reaction score
I also started to attack the driver side rear cab mount. Once I get done with the rear frame paint, I plan to move back to finishing up the cab rust repair. I was orginally intending to do all the body work and painting myself, but it's been two years since I've driven it on the road and I'm getting impatient, so I'm just going to pay someone to paint it once it's back together. A lot of stuff to do before that happens though.

Here's a pic of the damage. As you can see, I'll have to repair part of the back wall as well, just as I did on the passenger side. Rust, ewww.
If your doing the repairs yourself, you deserve the satisfaction one gets when they paint . Your doing the hardest part so you might as well go for it all. Good luck bud

Salty K1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your doing the repairs yourself, you deserve the satisfaction one gets when they paint . Your doing the hardest part so you might as well go for it all. Good luck bud
Thanks Jonf. I won't make any promises, but once I get to the point where the truck is ready for paint, I will reconsider if I want to take that on or not. The painting doesn't so much scare me as the prep work.

Salty K1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been getting a bit of work done on the truck lately. Got the driver side rear cab mount out and it did not look good. Neither did the floor around it. I made a patch for one part of the floor and got it welded in. Applied weld-through primer to the area. Next up will be the new mount.