Help with seat belts on 97 GMC K1500 Ext Cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckmonkey

Reaction score
Hey folks, first time poster here.

I bought a 97 K1500 ext cab last year and it came without seat belts for the rear bench seat. I'm at the point where I'd like to add the rear seat belts, but struggling a little to know what to buy.

I removed the rear seat to get at the seat mounts, but the mounts aren't quite the same as what I've seen on youtube/online. In the videos I've seen for other GMT400 trucks, the seat mounts are pointed toward the inside of the cab and the square seat belt anchor goes onto the seat mount and then the seat is reinstalled. In my truck, the seat mounts are pointed outward and from what I can tell, it doesn't seem like that square seat belt connector will have anywhere to slide on, as the seat itself seems to take up all the space on the square mount - at least as far as I can tell.

I hope that makes sense. I've taken some pictures to show what I'm looking at. If you have one of these trucks, with rear seat belts installed, can you take a picture or explain how the seat belts mount with the seat mounts in this orientation?

Thank you,

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_7640.JPG
    IMG_7640.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7638.jpg
    IMG_7638.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7641.JPG
    IMG_7641.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7639.JPG
    IMG_7639.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 11

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Uh, if that's your truck in the photo. You gave the center lap belt. You have both the inner female short length belts.
So at some point the outer inertia reel shoulder belt is missing? If your has the third door is different. But here is xtend cab 95 & 98. If your gonna do your own work, good idea to get the Factory service manual s in the sticky above for your year truck.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yes, very odd that it would come with the buckles but not the belt. I would love to know if those block off plastics over the reel hole are OEM tho?? Wouldn't mind having a pair of those for my truck I pulled the rear seat in lol.

truckmonkey

Reaction score
Uh, if that's your truck in the photo. You gave the center lap belt. You have both the inner female short length belts.
So at some point the outer inertia reel shoulder belt is missing? If your has the third door is different. But here is xtend cab 95 & 98. If your gonna do your own work, good idea to get the Factory service manual s in the sticky above for your year truck.

Yeah those photos are my truck. I think originally it was a fleet truck owned by a power company or something. So maybe it was outfitted without shoulder/lap belt back then. But yes, I seem to just be missing the shoulder/lap belt portion for each side, which is what I'm looking to add now. No third door, just the standard extended cab.

I couldn't find the service manual you mentioned. One of those images shows what I've seen around the internet, where the square seat mount points inward and the square seat belt anchor just goes around it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.41.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-19 at 6.41.54 PM.png
    126 KB · Views: 4

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll go out and take photo of my 95 and post it.

truckmonkey

Reaction score
I appreciate it! I think I got a little closer with this part number: 12385792 (Right) and 12385791 (Left). This seat belt doesn't have the square seat mount connection, and appears to screw in somewhere else, perhaps along the base of the seat mount bracket, though I'm not clear on that quite yet

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 7.37.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-21 at 7.37.26 PM.png
    776.4 KB · Views: 1