Safety - Seat Belt Function

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else have issues with seat belts functioning as intended?

The seatbelts in my truck (95, c2500 extended cab) have always seemed like they may not lock if actually in a wreck. I am specifically worried more about the rear ones where my kids sit. I've tried hitting the brakes hard and pulling on my driver side seat belt and it never seems to lock. I'm pretty sure my rear ones don't lock at all either and that makes me worry about ever taking my kids on trips in the truck.

I'd be interested to know if you guys have the same problems or have done anything to fix/replace.

Thanks!

Edit:
Checks Performed
- Slam on brakes and pull driver side seat belt - Does not lock
- Rear seat belts - pull hard and fast, do not lock.

Service Manual
- The main manual "1995 C/K Truck Service Manual" does not mention any maintenance or checks on seat belts that I have found. It does mention to not repair, only replace though.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
We had a discussion about this on here not too long ago, I'll see if I can find it and paste the link in here. The name I'm using for this part of the device is not technically correct but it should help explain it. Inside the retractor mechanism there are some little plumb bob type devices that lock the belt in place when they're off-center, like when you're jamming on the brakes. Sometimes they can get crudded up with years of dust/debris/grime and may not move correctly anymore. If I recall though the plastic covers on the retractors are riveted on, though.. so you may want to just remove the retractor from the floor and look underneath to see if they appear crudded up inside, before drilling out rivets. BTW I could be mistaken but I don't think pulling on these belts really fast is enough to lock them.

OK, found the post, may or may not be more helpful - but we do discuss a lot of the seatbelt variants which could be useful for finding a proper donor truck if you end up replacing the belts in yours. https://www.gmt400.com/threads/seatbelt-compatibility.61078

Richard

Onizukachan

Great Teacher
Reaction score
Mine will lock from rapid pull or even sometimes bumps.
as indicated above check the lock mechanism moves freely And iirc there are small little fishing weight looking things hanging off it Inside.
once you get the plastic cover off it’s pretty apparent how they work and you can tell if they are cuddled up or something.

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks gents, I'll see if I can pull the seat belts this weekend and take a look at the components.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The basic concept for these seat belts are, " Inertia Reel " . When the retractor is subjected to a high acceleration movement the flyweights move outward and lock into slots. Some times going over bump in road with your body weight moving it can activate stopping anymore movement. It's a short high speed movement that will function the reel.
Depending the make or design you can simulate that action.
Just leaning forward going over R&R tracks can activate my 95K2500 belts.
The thing is they should be checked and cleaned annually. The dirt and fuzz animal hair. If the flyweights are gummed up it won't function. Or other debris is inside the housing.
I had the seatbelts in my Tahoe installed with new tan webbing at " Seatbelts Plus".
Good luck.

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The basic concept for these seat belts are, " Inertia Reel " . When the retractor is subjected to a high acceleration movement the flyweights move outward and lock into slots. Some times going over bump in road with your body weight moving it can activate stopping anymore movement. It's a short high speed movement that will function the reel.
Depending the make or design you can simulate that action.
Just leaning forward going over R&R tracks can activate my 95K2500 belts.
The thing is they should be checked and cleaned annually. The dirt and fuzz animal hair. If the flyweights are gummed up it won't function. Or other debris is inside the housing.
I had the seatbelts in my Tahoe installed with new tan webbing at " Seatbelts Plus".
Good luck.
Thank you. Mine definitely don’t do that.

By webbing do you mean the straps themselves?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes the seat belt straps, often referred to as the web, or webbing, versus the seat belt hardware.