98 k2500 4l80e neutral park safety switch question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ranchtruck805

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I have a 1998 k2500 Silverado with a 4L80E.
My question: what wires get voltage on the neutral park range safety switch (the one that's mounted onto drivers the side of the transmission) . I can't seem to get the right information on different schematics. Some schematic say that a purple wire gives voltage and there's others that show a yellow wire going to the switch. Which one's correct or do they both see voltage...

I'm having a no start issue on my truck but I have started to hone in on the issue which is somewhere in this area. If I apply direct voltage with a jumper wire in the fuse box where the starter relay goes, the truck turns on but I'd like to turn my truck on with my key thank you.

Attachments

• PXL_20240127_014609481.jpg
    PXL_20240127_014609481.jpg
    500.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 3EL4E8M.gif
    3EL4E8M.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20240127_013731161.jpg
    PXL_20240127_013731161.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240118-155248.png
    Screenshot_20240118-155248.png
    682.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Ranchtruck805

Reaction score
I'd be investigating the ignition switch, although the trans position (neutral safety) switch might be my second priority.
Hmmm
I checked the ignition switch (the yellow wire for voltage and I get 12v the key on engine run position on the ignition switch side, then I follow it to the #8 crank fuse 10amp and get 12v there as well. but when I follow it down to the neutral safety switch and the only wire that I get voltage is a purple wire, but on some the diagrams I seen they say the yellow wire carries 12v down to the neutrals safety range switch as well a pink wire.

Is there other wires besides the purple one that carry voltage to the neutrals safety range switch?

Ranchtruck805

Reaction score
Is there anyone out there with a 98 k2500 that can snap a picture of their Neutral safety range selector switch plug? I need to know that color goes onto each cavity I cant seem find a clear answer...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you using Genuine GM wiring diagrams, from the service manual for YOUR vehicle?

In other words, they're not sourced from some Haynes/Chiltons/Clymers manual, and they're not sourced from a GM Manual for a different year or different model (S/T truck vs. C/K truck, for example.)

Ranchtruck805

Reaction score
Are you using Genuine GM wiring diagrams, from the service manual for YOUR vehicle?

In other words, they're not sourced from some Haynes/Chiltons/Clymers manual, and they're not sourced from a GM Manual for a different year or different model (S/T truck vs. C/K truck, for example.)
Yes sir,
the pictures that are placed on thread I got from prodemand, but I cant get a clear answer as far what wires are giving the 12v to the Neutral safety range selector switch plug?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes sir,
the pictures that are placed on thread I got from prodemand,
I don't know what "prodemand" is.

but I cant get a clear answer as far what wires are giving the 12v to the Neutral safety range selector switch plug?
I believe it. Those diagrams are either blurred, or incomplete.

Download the service manual set for your engine, look at the wire diagrams in those manuals.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All four volumes of the 1998 C/K service manual set are available for download here:

When you ask about a Yellow or Purple wire, the answer is both. At the Ignition Switch, connector C266, pin D1, the wire coming off the ignition switch is Yellow. That yellow wire runs into the IP Fuse Block and connects to terminal E5 of Fuse 8.

Out the other side of Fuse 8, terminal D6 in the IP Fuse Block, connects a purple wire. That purple wire runs all the way to connector C1 of the Transmission Range Switch, terminal E. When the transmission shifter is in Park or Neutral, there will be continuity between terminals E and G of connector C1 of the Transmission Range Switch.

This continuity allows the battery voltage (B+) from the purple wire to flow through the Transmission Range Switch to the coil side, terminal B9, of the Starter Relay in the Underhood Fuse-Relay Box.

On p. 6-994 of Volume 3,

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Ranchtruck805

Reaction score
All four volumes of the 1998 C/K service manual set are available for download here:

When you ask about a Yellow or Purple wire, the answer is both. At the Ignition Switch, connector C266, pin D1, the wire coming off the ignition switch is Yellow. That yellow wire runs into the IP Fuse Block and connects to terminal E5 of Fuse 8.

Out the other side of Fuse 8, terminal D6 in the IP Fuse Block, connects a purple wire. That purple wire runs all the way to connector C1 of the Transmission Range Switch, terminal E. When the transmission shifter is in Park or Neutral, there will be continuity between terminals E and G of connector C1 of the Transmission Range Switch.

This continuity allows the battery voltage (B+) from the purple wire to flow through the Transmission Range Switch to the coil side, terminal B9, of the Starter Relay in the Underhood Fuse-Relay Box.

On p. 6-994 of Volume 3,

Thank you sir... I will review and report back!

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I have a 1998 k2500 Silverado with a 4L80E.
My question: what wires get voltage on the neutral park range safety switch (the one that's mounted onto drivers the side of the transmission) . I can't seem to get the right information on different schematics. Some schematic say that a purple wire gives voltage and there's others that show a yellow wire going to the switch. Which one's correct or do they both see voltage...

Greetings Ranchtruck805,

@xXxPARAGONxXx beat me to it, but we're in agreement that the General's
Factory Service Manuals are by far the best documentation available.

I'm having a no start issue on my truck but I have started to hone in on the issue which is somewhere in this area. If I apply direct voltage with a jumper wire in the fuse box where the starter relay goes, the truck turns on but I'd like to turn my truck on with my key thank you.

That's a good troubleshooting approach, for you have eliminated everything after the
Starter Relay from the troubleshooting table. Here's a few troubleshooting tips in
this area that you might find useful:

1) I took a bird's eye view pic of the Underhood Fuse/Relay box. If you look closely you
can see that all the big square relays are the exact same part number:

This is a troubleshooter's delight, for we can substitute a suspect relay with a known-good neighbor
in order to figure out if the problem is the relay itself vs. something upstream feeding it.

And here's the legend on the underneath of the cover for the Underhood Fuse Block:

Let's assume that you swapped the fuel pump & starter relay. If the problem follows
the relay, then we have the proof we need to buy the replacement with confidence.

On the other hand, IF the problem stays in the Starter Relay socket, then we
need to figure out if we are experiencing a 'control voltage' to the relay issue vs a
'power to solenoid' issue? In order to make this easier to troubleshoot, here's the
same sheet, but crayoned up 2 different ways:

Starter Relay circuit, Control Side

{Underhood Fuse 6 > Ignition Switch > IP Fuse 8 > Neutral Safety Switch > Starter Relay Pin 86 > Pin 85 > G105}

Note: Colored the involved schematic lines to match color code

Starter Relay circuit, Power delivery side

{Underhood IGN A Fuse 6 > Starter Relay Pin 30 > Pin 87 > Starter Solenoid}

Note: Colored the involved schematic lines to match color code.

So now to figure out if the Starter Relay Control Circuit, *or* the Underhood IGN A Fuse 6 Power to Starter Solenoid circuit
is bad. I know that you've already jumped +12v power to the socket for Pin 87 & it started,
but did you do this straight from the battery, or did you jump from Pin 30 to Pin 87?

If jumpering Pin 30 to Pin 87 works, and (temporarily) swapping in the Fuel Pump relay
doesn't fix it, then working through the control path is going to locate the root cause of not
being able to crank the engine over from behind the wheel.

Best of luck!

Attachments

• Starter Circuit Description (relevant only) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    Starter Circuit Description (relevant only) -- 99 Chevrolet & GMC CK Truck SM - Vol. 1 & 2.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: