Looking for neutral safety switch wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I assure you, the 94 and older automatic columns do not allow the key to be rotated to start outside of Park/Neutral. The start circuit is a purple wire straight off the ignition switch, without a starter interupt switch since it is done mechanically in the column. The key cylinder rack gear rotates/slides against a mechanical stop in Reverse or Drive positions preventing the key from rotating to the start position.

The 95+ have a yellow wire off the ignition switch, that runs to the transmission mounted interlock switch with a purple wire off that switch to the starter. 95+ the key can rotate to start in all shifter gear positions.
How are what you said and I said different? I assure you my quote was "Your column *should* allow you to turn the key to the start position with the shifter in neutral." :)

As far as being able to physically turn the key outside of park/neutral I'd have no idea, I don't make a habit of attempting to destroy my starter or ring gear/flywheel..

This is more than just a reverse lamp switch, so any physical interlock function of the column aside, it's a "neutral safety switch" regardless of what someone wants to call it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How are what you said and I said different? I assure you my quote was "Your column *should* allow you to turn the key to the start position with the shifter in neutral." :)

As far as being able to physically turn the key outside of park/neutral I'd have no idea, I don't make a habit of attempting to destroy my starter or ring gear/flywheel..

This is more than just a reverse lamp switch, so any physical interlock function of the column aside, it's a "neutral safety switch" regardless of what someone wants to call it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
That is not a neutral safety switch, because the starter circuit is not wired through it at all. It is a reverse light switch and Park/Neutral input for the ECM. The ECM does not control the start circuit on the TBI trucks either like a Vortec truck. As I said earlier you can completely remove that switch from the column, leave the wires dangling disconnected and the truck will still start.

I misread what you stated on the key switch. You can put the shifter in reverse or drive with the engine off and the key will not twist. That is the main intention anyway, to prevent the engine from starting in gear and running someone or something over.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That is not a neutral safety switch, because the starter circuit is not wired through it at all. It is a reverse light switch and Park/Neutral input for the ECM. The ECM does not control the start circuit on the TBI trucks either like a Vortec truck. As I said earlier you can completely remove that switch from the column, leave the wires dangling disconnected and the truck will still start.

I misread what you stated on the key switch. You can put the shifter in reverse or drive with the engine off and the key will not twist. That is the main intention anyway, to prevent the engine from starting in gear and running someone or something over.
Fair 'nuff

Richard