2 Water Pumps in 1 month?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve gotten fed up with replacing water pumps on my 95’s 305. Apparently this thing goes through them more than gas. I’ve put on an Advance Auto pump on and then finally a NAPA two weeks ago. They both are leaking from the back side on that cover plate NOT where it bolts to the block. Any ideas what’s up or is it just a reman issue?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
More junk reman parts I would say. I had OK luck with a few Napa pumps over a decade ago but like anything else, quality seems to have taken a dive. Small sample size to be sure but after one of them went bad I got it warrantied out and the warranty pump was bad right out of the box (bearing no good.) Went down to Carquest (right before Advance bought them out) and got one from them instead. Casting appeared slightly different so at least I felt better that it came from a different plant in China, ya know?

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They both are leaking from the back side on that cover plate NOT where it bolts to the block. Any ideas what’s up or is it just a reman issue?
Did you check the rear plate mounting bolts for tightness before installing the pump? I've had them come out of the box loose before.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you check the rear plate mounting bolts for tightness before installing the pump? I've had them come out of the box loose before.
That's some amazingly bad QC then!! Wow. Yeah I'd check them from now on if there's historical evidence. That's a thin cover so I'd go with "snug" as a torque value ;) about as much as you'd put on a thin stamped steel valve cover bolt. Too tight will deform the cover and gasket.

Richard

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First you should buy a brand new acdelco pump Second, replace the clutch fan at the same time. Put in a heavy duty unit, hayes or other good aftermarket is fine. You will hear it slightly, but you will be happy and will not have to do the job again. I have been there and that was my problem.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
First you should buy a brand new acdelco pump Second, replace the clutch fan at the same time. Put in a heavy duty unit, hayes or other good aftermarket is fine. You will hear it slightly, but you will be happy and will not have to do the job again. I have been there and that was my problem.
Years ago I would agree with you on the AC Delco pump. These days all the new pumps are Chinese garbage, you just pay for the name and warranty. In my case the NAPA pumps were brand new, not remans. The warranty got me another bad pump brand new in the box. The Carquest pump was new, too.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or look for a NOS Acdelco 251-579. I installed one last summer while also installing a new duel core radiator. They can still be had.
Edit: Just noticed yours is a 95

Attachments

• 211860F1-64A2-450E-9E1E-1219E12498E4.jpeg
    211860F1-64A2-450E-9E1E-1219E12498E4.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 11

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:eek: I didn’t think to check that but I guess if they weren’t it’d be leaking by now!

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned already cant trust brands of any parts. Can look on the box of any of them. Its all made in china now.

I work in a shop this stuff is almost daily, its multiple brand cars and multiple brand parts and its all the same QC issues