Water Pump + Throwing parts at this truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I’ve procrastinated replacing my water pump all summer and have finally found some time, money, and motivation. I expect to have the truck for the next 100k+, so what else should be freshened up while the front of the engine bay is opened up? This truck is my daily and it takes me deep off pavement throughout Utah - reliability is a big focus. I did a general tune up in the spring and am now looking to cleanup the next handful of leaks and old parts.

In addition to the water pump, thermostat, and seized clutch fan, I’m planning on replacing:
• Leaking timing chain cover & front main seal. While I’m there.. timing chain and sprockets don’t seem like a big hassle? Or is this a lifetime part on a truck that hasn’t missed oil changes?
• Leaking high-pressure power steering hose and system flush. (Steering pump was done 40k ago).
• Upper & lower radiator hoses and water pump hoses.
• Temp sender (dash gauge reads low). Reinstall temp sensor for rearview mirror.

Haynes says to drop the oil pan to replace the timing chain cover. The guys at 1A Auto don’t bother in their how-to video. What do you think?

Any other parts you’d consider treating this old truck to?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is your '97 K1500 Suburban?

What engine?

How many miles?

If you're opening up the cooling system, consider a coolant flush including pulling the block drain plugs to do a thorough job. The block drain on the passenger side is probably the knock sensor; be sure to put it back in at the specified torque, with sealant.

How old is the radiator? Maybe that should be replaced or cleaned-out. If the radiator comes out, take the opportunity to blow the A/C condenser clean using compressed air from the back-side.

Heater hoses

The timing chain "may" still be good. You'll know when the front cover comes off. "I" would lower the pan to make sure the oil pan seal doesn't get screwed-up.

V-6 or small block: How old are the intake manifold gaskets? Spider injectors?

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the Holley timing covers, reviews look good. Cast aluminum with a regular gasket and don’t have to be replaced everytime you take it off. My dorman replacement cover started leaking after about 500 miles. I’m doing the Holley next time.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you're talking about the vortec timing cover the 1A Auto video has a few errors in it but only one is of consequence: the shoulder bolt torque. I suspect that video is behind many of the "cheap Chinese bolts broke" comments on negative product reviews as they WAY over torque them. As memory serves they say something like 15 ft-lbs. Correct is 72-96 in-lbs. The plastic cover uses shoulder bolts so when they bottom out there's no more compression only tightening/stretching. Because they're shoulder bolts the threads will shear at the block face and you'll be in for a world of hurt so beware.

They omit a few things. First the OEM gasket will stick to the old cover so have a razor ready to cut it or you'll pull sealing material from between the pan and block. Second make sure you hit the bottom of the inside of the new cover right where the rubber gasket ends, just a dab on on both sides, or it will leak there. You'll need a lot of RTV on the lower cover flange. Like the entire tube of RTV. I've done it a few times now and have never had to drop the pan. Only leaked on the first attempt which is where the comment about the RTV under the rubber gasket recommendation comes from. The Holley cover is nice, I'm using it now, but not a necessity.

Good luck. I started with a water pump replacement too years back. Then an obsession to fix everything that was broken down to the plastic latches on the center armrest (amazing what you used to be able to find on ebay). Then a CAI, 411, marine intake, 24x and marine cam, 60 to 80e swap, more than a few other here-and-there's, now working on a stroker and getting parts for a hydroboost swap. All started with a successful replacement of a leaking water pump a year after I inherited the truck from my dad on his passing as the original buyer. Hopefully you don't catch the same bug. Or hopefully you do.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1997 K1500 Suburban
5.7L Vortec, 213,000 miles (16k of these are mine)
Purchased from original owner out of Phoenix. Service history is mostly complete. And that guy was not afraid to open the wallet for his mechanic!

No records of intake manifold gasket or spider injectors being touched - I assume they're original. A couple weeks ago I replaced the original fuel pump (the truck started cutting out soon after starting up) and I swear an extra 10HP fell in my lap!

No notes for the radiator replacement but I'd be surprised if that was original. I'll take a close look and strongly consider replacing. I've never been able to keep the coolant reservoir full. If I top it off, it'll leak near the passenger tire. I've taken the reservoir off and it looks good. A shop pressure tested the system - they sold me a radiator cap and sent me on my way. I was thinking of putting in a bottle of Bars and running it for a couple hundred miles before doing this work and flushing the radiator.

Heater hoses
YES!

Look at the Holley timing covers, reviews look good. Cast aluminum with a regular gasket and don’t have to be replaced everytime you take it off.
Already purchased a plastic one... Kinda regretting that :)

Good luck. I started with a water pump replacement too years back. Then an obsession to fix everything .... Hopefully you don't catch the same bug. Or hopefully you do.
HA! yea, trying to pace myself. Next spring I have my eyes on the front end with a modest suspension lift and steering components. Then maybe I can allow myself to shift focus back to the camping projects - a little more cabinetry, lights, find a new home for the spare wheel.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flush the heater core, or just the whole system before taking everything apart
I flush everything separately lol it’s takes longer and makes a bigger mess but I feel like it’s more thorough. And I flush in both directions.

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The timing chain "may" still be good. You'll know when the front cover comes off.
How would I know by looking at it...?
The chain and new sprockets are <$50. I'm inclined to replace it put it out of my mind forever. There are dozen different options from Melling and Cloyes on rockauto. Some with 0.275" wide teeth, some with 0.400 or 0.335. All sizes come with or without "roller chain". How's a guy supposed to know?? I hate asking for my hand to be held, but what the heck do I need here? (aiming for OEM).