2 Water Pumps in 1 month?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the problem is that the cover on the back leaks--not the bearings, not coolant out the weep hole...unbolt the cover, clean the cover and the casting. Buy a $2 gasket for the rear cover, or glue it together with The Right Stuff. Torque the bolts appropriately. Reinstall pump.

Problem solved, almost no expense. Huge PITA factor but there's no avoiding that now.

Yeah, you could haul it back to the parts store and demand a replacement in a voice filled with Righteous Anger. And it would be good for them to know that they're selling crap. But if the goal is a driveable vehicle, a gasket or some goop and let 'er eat.

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the bolts are loose on that back cover. I had that issue on the one from Advance and tightening them up didn’t fix it so I just replaced. Got to love the Chinese QC. At this point with it coming off again anyway, I don’t know whether to reseal and tighten back plate or just stick on an AC Delco. Also deciding whether to upgrade my radiator from the 28” to 34” since it’s full of Dexcool ****.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The AC Delco water pump I put in my 98 a year and a half ago works just fine and said "assembled in USA of USA and China materials" or something like that. Anyway it's at least partially American made/QCed so I recommend them still and I agree with getting that clutch fan while your at it.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
f the problem is that the cover on the back leaks--not the bearings, not coolant out the weep hole...unbolt the cover, clean the cover and the casting. Buy a $2 gasket for the rear cover, or glue it together with The Right Stuff. Torque the bolts appropriately. Reinstall pump.
Yup. I had a water pump leaking from the back cover. The back cover was bent! I straightened it back up, reused the same gasket, and it's held up fine.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Napa used to have the best aftermarket parts, but been reading abt alot of complaints lately. also make sure you have good coolant,, just because it looks bright and clean doesnt mean its good,, coolant also contains LUBRICANTS, and if its not good it will cause problems,., replace it every 3 years, along with a radiator flush, and new radiator cap. inspect heater hoses and big radiator hoses. also make sure you have a 190 to 195 degree t stat. if coolant system had rusty water when u flush, replace t stat too.

thx1138v2

Reaction score
I’ve gotten fed up with replacing water pumps on my 95’s 305. Apparently this thing goes through them more than gas. I’ve put on an Advance Auto pump on and then finally a NAPA two weeks ago. They both are leaking from the back side on that cover plate NOT where it bolts to the block. Any ideas what’s up or is it just a reman issue?
Cheap Chinese crap. The first one I had (that came new with the truck) lasted 8 years. I got a cheap Chinese rebuilt one to replace it and it lasted 11 months. The next one I got from AC Delco lasted until 2015 - 12 years. The replacement for that one was another AC Delco and it is still on the truck in 2022. So it has lasted 6 years so far.

The truck is 27+ years old and still runs good - as long as I can find parts. I'm hoping it will outlast me. That's possible since I've got cancer but then I've had it since 2017 and I'm still kickin'! And still working on the truck. It has become my hobby truck but it doesn't make much since to buy a new one.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cheap Chinese crap. The first one I had (that came new with the truck) lasted 8 years. I got a cheap Chinese rebuilt one to replace it and it lasted 11 months. The next one I got from AC Delco lasted until 2015 - 12 years. The replacement for that one was another AC Delco and it is still on the truck in 2022. So it has lasted 6 years so far.

The truck is 27+ years old and still runs good - as long as I can find parts. I'm hoping it will outlast me. That's possible since I've got cancer but then I've had it since 2017 and I'm still kickin'! And still working on the truck. It has become my hobby truck but it doesn't make much since to buy a new one.
Hope you and the truck keep going strong!