Chasing down cyl. 2 misfire (P0302)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throw some fuel injector cleaner and high octane gas premium 91 . To clean out the grime n gunk.
I've got a friend that puts high-octane-rating fuel in his cars to "clean them out".

I keep telling him about Top Tier fuel, but he's totally focused on octane rating instead of detergent, which is what would actually help.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you clean the passageways into and out of the EGR valve? From the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve, and from the EGR valve to the intake airstream?
Just the egr valve. I'll have to youtube the others, I've never seen anyone clean those
Throw some fuel injector cleaner and high octane gas premium 91 . To clean out the grime n gunk.
I have ran some lucas fuel injector maybe 1 month ago for a full tank and no change. Will fill up with 91 next time(Monday)
I've got a friend that puts high-octane-rating fuel in his cars to "clean them out".

I keep telling him about Top Tier fuel, but he's totally focused on octane rating instead of detergent, which is what would actually help.
I know there is a Top Tier Fuel station close to my house.. gotta look it up. Saw it on the manual book a while back but have never gone there

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took my burb to a mechanic, I explained to him what was happening and when it was happening. He asked what all I had done and went through the list.

He asked about fuel pressure, gave him the numbers.
Compression, gave him the numbers.

He suggested my fuel pressure is low that's why truck idles roughly in the mornings and at highway speeds my misfire counts start to drive up because my pump can't keep up with the demand.

He would want to replace the fuel pump and would charge me $160 labor + a pump from ORilley $50, $210 roughly

I told him I could change it since I had all tools. He said change it, and if that doesn't fix it to bring it back to him and he would go through his steps including a smoke test. Let him know truck is not running lean, I wasn't suspect of a vacuum leak and he said it would just be standard procedure.

So here I am, what pump was he referring to? All units on Orilley are over $200.

I've read a few threads where some people have a specific sending unit + a pump module?

I saw someone use this pump, can I keep my sending unit and just replace this?

Walbro Electric In-Tank Fuel Pumps 5CA400-1​

What's that all about, I thought people just purchase a unit itself for say $265 from ORilley?

Or is it better to replace everything?

I saw the option to cut a hole on top of the tank in the cargo area and go from there, but I would like to replace my filler neck as well as it looks really old and crusty so more than likely I'll drop the tank. What options do I have and from where for the filler tube?

I'm leaving Monday(already got hotel booking) for many many days(until job is done, maybe 2-4 weeks out).

Truck will be parked at the shop 60 miles from Sacramento and won't be moved until I get back.

Would like to have a pump waiting for me when I get back home, or sending unit? still a bit lost on this topic.

Thank you all!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOOK at your fuel trims as you drive. If the fuel trims aren't in rich-command, the fuel pressure is fine.

I have heard that "Walbro" fuel pumps on Amazon are actively being counterfeited.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will take a look at them next time I drive. If i remember correctly, they are always negative numbers.

Anything fuel related won’t ship to CA. Fuel pumps being one of these items

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOOK at your fuel trims as you drive. If the fuel trims aren't in rich-command, the fuel pressure is fine.

I have heard that "Walbro" fuel pumps on Amazon are actively being counterfeited.
I believe it was your setup that i saw. You had it stored for 27 years or so you said

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I took my burb to a mechanic, I explained to him what was happening and when it was happening. He asked what all I had done and went through the list.

He asked about fuel pressure, gave him the numbers.
Compression, gave him the numbers.

He suggested my fuel pressure is low that's why truck idles roughly in the mornings and at highway speeds my misfire counts start to drive up because my pump can't keep up with the demand.

He would want to replace the fuel pump and would charge me $160 labor + a pump from ORilley $50, $210 roughly

I told him I could change it since I had all tools. He said change it, and if that doesn't fix it to bring it back to him and he would go through his steps including a smoke test. Let him know truck is not running lean, I wasn't suspect of a vacuum leak and he said it would just be standard procedure.

So here I am, what pump was he referring to? All units on Orilley are over $200.

I've read a few threads where some people have a specific sending unit + a pump module?

I saw someone use this pump, can I keep my sending unit and just replace this?

Walbro Electric In-Tank Fuel Pumps 5CA400-1​

What's that all about, I thought people just purchase a unit itself for say $265 from ORilley?

Or is it better to replace everything?

I saw the option to cut a hole on top of the tank in the cargo area and go from there, but I would like to replace my filler neck as well as it looks really old and crusty so more than likely I'll drop the tank. What options do I have and from where for the filler tube?

I'm leaving Monday(already got hotel booking) for many many days(until job is done, maybe 2-4 weeks out).

Truck will be parked at the shop 60 miles from Sacramento and won't be moved until I get back.

Would like to have a pump waiting for me when I get back home, or sending unit? still a bit lost on this topic.

Thank you all!
Just go with oem ac Delco and replace the fuel filter while your at it. And the sending unit they usually fix your erratic fuel gauge needle to.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just go with oem ac Delco and replace the fuel filter while your at it. And the sending unit they usually fix your erratic fuel gauge needle to.
The whole unit can come as 1 if the sending unit goes bad your fuel gauge will be off and won't know if your full or empty which means you'll have to drop the tank again to replace which wastes time better to replace everything and do it the Right way then do it twice . Oem might cost a little more but it's the best reassurance. Careful with the fuel filter I would drive it to almost empty because I replaced mines and about 1/2 a gallon of fuel came out and it was a big mess. But I was at a fuel tank and did purge the system . Depressurize the tank by taking off the fuel cap, and fuel relay and start it a few times. I think there might be a valve you can also purge but I don't remember.