1998 2 door tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What does a door chime module do? (i am hoping you say if I find it and can pull it, the door chime will go away and nothing else affected... ;))

It's the chime itself. It just plugs into the panel below the dash. I've wanted a different chime, but they go for big bucks on ebay now. What I did several years ago, was just taped over some of the holes so it wasn't as loud/annoying.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was fiddling with the door jam switch trying to figure out if i had a problem, the problem was me, pushed it in and out to hard and it broke. It also turned out that the dome override switch was just off, i feel it has a backward logic it think to its operation, if its depressed in, it allows light on, i would think if you depressed it it would keep them off. Went to bed happy at least knowing my lights worked again after replacing it

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
When the dome override button is pushed in/depressed, that shuts off the dome lights and the courtesy lights under the dash and in the doors. When the button is pushed again, it comes out farther, and in that position, these lights are on. However this does not control the map lights. Those work independently of the dome/courtesy lights, and will stay on until switched off or your battery runs down (guess how I know this!). That's how both my '99 Burbs are/were, and how the crew cab is.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the dome override button is pushed in/depressed, that shuts off the dome lights and the courtesy lights under the dash and in the doors. When the button is pushed again, it comes out farther, and in that position, these lights are on. However this does not control the map lights. Those work independently of the dome/courtesy lights, and will stay on until switched off or your battery runs down (guess how I know this!). That's how both my '99 Burbs are/were, and how the crew cab is.
mine works opposite that description, pushing it in allows them to come on when doors opened. With the button pressed out it stops courtesy lights from coming on