98 ECSB 5 speed Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
While it's "technically" not a Z71, I am keeping with a similar build theme as my last. Most everyone knows the Z71 package was bilstein shocks, metal skid plates, a set of decals and probably some other menial crap no one cares about. However it will be when I am done with it, because it just sounds cooler to say you have a Z71 instead of a 4x4. Maybe that's just my outlook on it, IDK.

Realistically it was born as a Cheyenne 4.3 5MT 4x4 w/ open diff 3.73's in 8/97. I had the basic bs bench seat, crank widows but power locks tilt and cruise control. With one title screwed 98 Sierra, I robbed the buckets and console, and power door guts and corresponding harness. This same Sierra will donate its 350 in the near future, after I give it an overhaul.

Yes I absolutely could do an LS based swap, but I have a 350 on hand that presumably needs a HG, and I am trying to maximize my $500 investment from said Sierra. Plus from my outlook on it, it's less conversion parts I have to buy in the way of clutch/ flywheel acessory brackets etc, because it all already fits and a 4.3 is just a 350 missing two cylinders.

I have an 0411 pcm, a semi float 14 bolt G80 3.73 rear, engine wiring harness (two of them), and the engine itself.

EXTERIOR:

When I got it the grill was busted and held together with self tapping screws. The bumper was bent, front license plate holder broken, air dam cracked in half. This was a perfect time to get rid of the chrome, since I truly hate chrome, and add the bumper I prefer.

I ordered me a Tiawan special grill shell of the paintable variety, and used the duplicolor bright red which matches perfectly. The lights are smoked ebay specials, with LEDs in all places. Lasfit headlight bulbs make the difference with the smoked lights, parking/ marker lights are China ebay specials amber in color. I have a matched taillight set smoked in color for the rear.

Next was the paintable diesel bumper from LMC truck, which has been painted with GM bright silver to go along with my two toned silver bottom. I saw a truck locally red/silver and decided that was the color scheme I liked. I have a paintable rear bumper that I haven't installed yet, it also has led light for the license plate lights.

I bought and installed some 2000 OBS Tahoe fog lights for the bumper, they work like a charm, also fitted with Lasfit bulbs as well.

I'm still rocking the black steel wheels from my last build, because I haven't come up with anything else I can afford yet.

INTERIOR:

the aforementioned cheap bench to full power bucket conversion. Interestingly enough the power wires were already in place with dummy covers on them. The drivers bucket was roached, so I sourced one from a pick n pull that had all power options for a cloth seat. That seat had a broken frame and broken spring support, so with the aid of another parts cab, I used the passenger side frame section.

If you don't know, the seat fold is on the opposite side of what I needed, meaning they're on the inner most part of the frame. That meant I had to either scab in a section of metal to replace the broken frame, or move the seat fold bracket. I chose to move the bracket. I had never tore down a seat before, so I took my time to pay attention to what I was doing, naturally starting with the junk seat in case I effed it up too badly my first go at it.

My dash has one crack down the middle, so I have a ebay fabric cover for it, the defrost vents have disentigrated with age. I have the airbag delete pocket in the dash, and the horn pad that I still need to install. None of the airbag crap is hooked up anyway, so might as well chuck it. I am reasonably sure the heavy bag on the passenger side it what destroyed these dashes. Factory fog light switch in place where the airbag switch was w/ appropriate dash blank.

I also have an Esky/ Denali 120 cluster installed with clear leds, so it looks blue.

That about covers this trucks introduction, pics will be uploaded later on as I get them sorted out.

Last edited:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Yesterday 2/2/22 I got a new windshield for my state safety inspection, and tagged it again for another two years. The freezing rain was inbound so I got things done before it got stupid outside.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
When I first got it:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

My son had changed the bench seat out to this one, the old one was beyond useless, and had a grand canyon crater on the drivers side.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Radiator decided to spring a leak, so I upgraded to accomodate future engine upgrade. Comparison shot of the 28 inch to 34 inch radiators, also 1 inch core vs 2 1/4 inch core. The difference is staggering:

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
So I deleted the molding like I always do on my trucks, and laid down the two tone. Yes, the cab corners and rockers are still original and need replacement. This was done as a temporary to see if I liked it. Also pictured in the bumper are OBS Tahoe fog lights.