1997 GMC Extended Cab Down Under

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ever get “more” down to Antarctica you’ll be glad for RPO V10! Also, that 1SD makes for a very kitted out truck. :waytogo:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is the first time I noticed the rite hand drive, and the 3ed door is on the driver's side. That's cool. IDK how I over looked it before.

Masterb4tes

Reaction score
If you ever get “more” down to Antarctica you’ll be glad for RPO V10! Also, that 1SD makes for a very kitted out truck. :waytogo:

Hahaa! Living up north here we are luck to see a drop to 70F in winter... Right now we are bouncing around 100F all day long. I'm not to sure what the Yukon Package gives me. I noticed compared to all the Z71 models I have seen I don't have an overhead console. But I do have the recovery hooks at the front.
This is the first time I noticed the rite hand drive, and the 3ed door is on the driver's side. That's cool. IDK how I over looked it before.
Yeah it hit me like that too. Which makes for a tough U.S. parts truck!

The brain is pretty special, it sees bits then fills in the gaps with what we expect. I have spent so much time looking at American models that sometimes it weirds me out when I see my own truck :p
I am really expecting some issues with some parts, anything to do with the dash, I'm gonna have to just do my best to preserve as much of that as I can. I know they had issues with the steering rack, not sure if it is using the same setup as the US version but just on the other side of the car. I expect there to be much whinging and whining when I start getting into things...

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
@Jesse_Wenting I'll add more as I go, let me know if there is anything you want me to photograph.
Wow little things you'd never thing of, like the right hand side battery and intake air filter being swapped to make room for the brake booster. When you have time I'm really curious where the intake filter box actually mates to the fender.

Other things that grab my eye are that the passenger airbag switch is located where the pull-out cup holder would normally be. The A/C hose does some weird bendy crap and the hose that passes over the alternator seems to disappear into the depths lol. And you've got an overhead grab handle on the left hand side, so that must be an easy mod to do on our LHD trucks

EDIT: I noticed that the 60/40 front bench is unchanged, but I just realized that could mean the passenger has power a seat while the driver has manual :roflsquared:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yep y'all are having summer now, in a few months when we're sweating, y'all will have cold weather. The dash and interior pics look like someone flipped the negatives.... I know the Holden Burbs didn't use a 400 style dash, but haven't seen under the hood of one. Those underhood pics are neat, to see what all got moved around for RHD.
Not sure about the steering box difference, should there be one other than what side of the frame it's bolted to? There were a few other members of this forum Down Under, maybe they can chime in?

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, easy **** like that is a great and simple way to fail someone. As cool as Australia is, it does well to remember the English made it a prison before it was made a country.
For years we couldn't use European ECE standard helmets because they didn't have the AU standard approval, even though the ECE helmets were safer in all respects...

The windscreen on mine is wrapped and mounted in a rubber frame.
thats the normal mounting of that windshield. It’s glued down using polyurethane adhesive/sealant on the edge abd then has two tabs that are screwed i the body. Windshields are identical from 1988 to 2000