1997 GMC Extended Cab Down Under

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That depends on what year your talking about. EG, my 97 has the aluminum banner across the back, that says Chevrolet. Only Silverados, and searias had this. In 1998, gm did away with that aluminum banner. Then you are talking about a Burb, so again, the rules kind of change. But, untill the gmt800 line, Silverado was a trim level package, even on a Burb. I have seen gmt400, WT burns, but they were mostly commercial vehicles. People carriers, ECT.
I see. I thought they would of kept it the same when the burb trims changed. But looks like they didnt. Learn something new every day....

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me kind of correct, or better yet, add the the aluminum tail gate banner. GMC also used an aluminum tail gate banner, but there banner, had GMC on it, instead of Chevrolet. And the GMC banner, was only on the Sierra package trucks. They are somewhat rear, compared to the Chevrolet aluminum banner. In 1998, the aluminum banner, was replaced with a sticker of about the same size. So I think GM only put those aluminum banners on gmt400s for 2 years. 1996, and 1997, but I'm not 100 percent sure on that. I know GM had an aluminum banner on some square body trucks and maybe the 68 to 72 models, but 68 to 72, I'm not sure. My 97, is a Silverado, and here is a pic of my aluminum banner. Of course, mine is buffed and polished, and the letters are repainted.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Let me kind of correct, or better yet, add the the aluminum tail gate banner. GMC also used an aluminum tail gate banner, but there banner, had GMC on it, instead of Chevrolet. And the GMC banner, was only on the Sierra package trucks. They are somewhat rear, compared to the Chevrolet aluminum banner. In 1998, the aluminum banner, was replaced with a sticker of about the same size. So I think GM only put those aluminum banners on gmt400s for 2 years. 1996, and 1997, but I'm not 100 percent sure on that. I know GM had an aluminum banner on some square body trucks and maybe the 68 to 72 models, but 68 to 72, I'm not sure. My 97, is a Silverado, and here is a pic of my aluminum banner. Of course, mine is buffed and polished, and the letters are repainted.
You must be registered for see images attach
The square body trucks had a "chrome" piece on the tailgate, on the top of the line models. Sierra Classic and Silverado. It basically fills the depression in the tailgate, and has a separate emblem. The placement is different for different years; actually 73-74 didn't have an emblem on the trim because the wording was stamped into the top of the tailgate. I remember this, because when my Dad got his 75 Sierra Classic pickup, he went to the dealer and got the earlier style trim. He was trying to debadge it, before that was really a thing on a new pickup. Was his first brand new truck, wanted to fix it up! It was Willoway Green and white,with the 40 shades of green vinyl interior.

Masterb4tes

Reaction score
I had my windshield replaced last spring and it fit perfectly. The manufacturer was Pilkington, The plastic band is pre-installed and I believe they are a world wide supplier. The windshield is glued in with I believe urethane.
This is good info to have, thanks for that.

So I am chasing down a possible faulty door lock actuator. I suspect it is just gummed up and needs some sort of lubricant. There was some evidence of corrosion on the door itself. The overall result is both good and bad. The inner door area seems to be in good shape, the window rail is pretty buggered and the corrosion is minor and not pervasive. It seems that the insides of the door have been sprayed with a corrosion preventative, not sure if this is common with the US models?
The door actuator works fine disconnected from the mechanism, all the rods had old sticky grease/gunk on them, so I will sort out a dry lube and see if that solves the issue.

As for the corrosion on the door, I think I will wire wheel/flap disc it and seal it. For patch repairs like this what would most people use? I am considering a respray in the future, but doubtful it will be this year? I was considering using an epoxy primer of some sort. Paint and panel is not more forte... Is that window track replaceable? It appears to be glued on or some such...

Attachments

• 20220207_103906.jpg
    20220207_103906.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220207_102300.jpg
    20220207_102300.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 9

Masterb4tes

Reaction score
So...

I have done not very much since February. I did go to Melbourne, then drove back to North Queensland in the old mans new 2003 F250, about 2000 miles all up. I also bought a 96 Sportster.

With the truck, well not much has happened, but I did source a hood while in Melbourne for dirt cheap. Cool story actually, I found the hood online, a Holden Suburban hood advertised for $180aud. I called and confirmed they had it, 2 weeks later I was in Melbourne, swung by to pick it up. It was tagged as item 1053 out of 75000+ items from the wrecking yard. Was processed into stock in 2001 and has sat there ever since. The only Holden Suburban item they have ever stocked and was part of their first allocation of stock, sitting under cover indoors for over 20 years, with less then 3 years on a vehicle... For $180aud! Winning!

I am tinkering with the truck now, still fighting for a windscreen, the seat belt is sorted, just working on the drivers door now. The Sporty is my main focus as it is a fairly simple thing, fork seals and some wiring.

Attachments

• 20220221_190237.jpg
    20220221_190237.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220221_190226.jpg
    20220221_190226.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220214_075646.jpg
    20220214_075646.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 5