1997 GMC Extended Cab Down Under

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Masterb4tes

Reaction score
Motorbike you say??
I'm doing a debate about what bike number two will be, my Ducati is plenty quick even though it is a 2V air cooled Monster. So I want something a little more robust, cruiser orientated. Can't go back to an inline engine, so I am thinking a Harley. Can't decide on if I want a cheap 1200 Sportster/Nightster to just tear around on, or something bigger. I have two 1200's to chose from then a 1993 Softail Custom or a 2011 Street Bob, the later two are probably too much, whatever I get will see rain.

Attachments

• PXL_20210406_124338371.jpg
    PXL_20210406_124338371.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 1

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
How rare are the 400 series ambulance conversions? Another member had one he did quite a bit of work on, and it had the RHD dash like your truck. That may be also where some parts came from?( The conversion shop that built them.)
And yes, pictures are always cool, especially something like this that's not your average GMT 400 truck!

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
It has been all over the place honestly... Prior to Christmas I was in NSW, just south of Sydney. Most of last year it was all locked down pretty hard, no gym or gatherings etc. This let up in NSW in November as we hit about 90% vaccinated status so somethings were kind of normal. In December I came back home, North Queensland way, managed to drive that 1600m trip with little dramas, Queensland is still trying to limit things but I am in a rural location now, so it is nothing much has really changed here. There is some shortage on certain foods in rural areas, but oddly enough not so much fresh foods, most of that is grown around here and seems to be available.

Ok interesting, according to the window guys here they are all plastic/rubber encapsulated, been trying to source one since late last year, but every time someone tells me they can get one they end up telling me weeks later that there is no such thing as a 1997 Silverado/Sierra... The current guy at least knows about the Suburban that go imported to Aus in 1997-2000, so he is basically getting a windscreen to suit that. But the length on the two models he can order differs by nearly an inch in length and he is under the impression they come with the rubber surround in place. We won't know until it is ordered and here.
My biggest issue with the OBS trucks is that no one here knows anything about them, and parts availability is non existent. I might be able to get a new hood from Melbourne but they won't ship them due to damage etc, and that is nearly 2000m away.

If the weather clears up a little I will back it out and take a bucket load of pics, inside and out, I imagine some of you will get a right kick out of the conversion. Keep in mind this was converted by a private workshop back in 1997 to comply with various Australian rules. So it isn't just a matter of swapping the steering wheel to the Stbd side, they change out brake pads, sometimes lights and occasionally glass, seat belts, tyres and all kinds of arbitrary things. I have added the mod plate and the glove box ID plate too.
The model is K1500. The trucks weren't called Silverado/Sierra until the GMT800 trucks in 1999 in the states.
The Silverado/Sierra were trim levels on the GMT400 trucks.

I had my windshield replaced last spring and it fit perfectly. The manufacturer was Pilkington, The plastic band is pre-installed and I believe they are a world wide supplier. The windshield is glued in with I believe urethane.

Last edited:

Jesse_Wenting

Old Thread Reviver
Reaction score
The model is K1500. The trucks weren't called Silverado/Sierra until the GMT800 trucks in 1999 in the states.

I had my windshield replaced last spring and it fit perfectly. The manufacturer was Pilkington, The plastic band is pre-installed and I believe they are a world wide supplier. The windshield is glued in with I believe urethane.
When you had your windshield done, was there a small gap between the top of the glass and the windshield frame? Will attach a pic later, its't not much but I've been thinking about running a light beed of sealant along it. No leaks into the cab either, but don't like the idea of snow building up in it, melting, and then sitting in there

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Hey chief I think 97/98 was called silverado. 400 platform or am I wrong?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-142745_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220204-142745_Chrome.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 5

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey chief I think 97/98 was called silverado. 400 platform.
Read his post again. Silverado, was a package. The loaded out, top of the line package, more or less. There were 4 packages.
#1 WT, that was the work truck line.
#2 Bonanza. Had more options than WT
#3 Scottsdale.
Again more option choices.
#4 Silverado. Had the most options. Power windows, locks, Cruse, tilt wheel, ECT.
In 1999, when the gmt800s came out, there were all Silverados. It went from a trim level, package deal, to a truck line. Before 1999, a Silverado, did not come with rubber floor mats, instead of carpet, for example. Now, I may have #2, and #3 backwards, IDK. I don't remember what one had more options to choose from, but Silverado always had the most option in a gmt400.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Read his post again. Silverado, was a package. The loaded out, top of the line package, more or less. There were 4 packages.
#1 WT, that was the work truck line.
#2 Bonanza. Had more options than WT
#3 Scottsdale.
Again more option choices.
#4 Silverado. Had the most options. Power windows, locks, Cruse, tilt wheel, ECT.
In 1999, when the gmt800s came out, there were all Silverados. It went from a trim level, package deal, to a truck line. Before 1999, a Silverado, did not come with rubber floor mats to instead of carpet, for example.
No I get that part lol. But I'm saying the pic I posted says silverado under the Chevrolet badge. Like on my suburban accept it says suburban. So my question was did gm advertise the trim level under chevrolet or was it considered silverado? Since previous 400s only had chevrolet written across the entire tailgate.

Well found my answer looks like I'm wrong..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220204-144353_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220204-144353_Chrome.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That depends on what year your talking about. EG, my 97 has the aluminum banner across the back, that says Chevrolet. Only Silverados, and searias had this. In 1998, gm did away with that aluminum banner. Then you are talking about a Burb, so again, the rules kind of change. But, untill the gmt800 line, Silverado was a trim level package, even on a Burb. I have seen gmt400, WT burns, but they were mostly commercial vehicles. People carriers, ECT.