Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92GMCDons

Reaction score
This is my first time building a truck. I have built a Camaro, a Mustang and a El Camino. I am open to any and all suggestions or advice. I paid $700 and drove it home. It needs just about everything. Motor is a 5.7 TBI, trans is a 700R4. it has 278k on the odometer. Motor runs but has a tic. The trans is trash. Interior is trash. Electrical is trash. Im looking to make it dependable, look good and something worth keeping. There is a budget. I just haven’t set the budget yet. I will be doing all the work. The only part that I have no experience in is rebuilding the transmission. I have removed and installed several in my lifetime. Everything else I can do myself. All my knowledge about motors is Gen1 SBC. For motors I have a Gen1 350, a Gen1 454. Both are carbureted. I have a couple TH 350 trans available that are good to go. My friends have told me I should LS swap it. I don’t know much about the LS and newer transmissions. First order of business is for me to get it drivable. The main thing keeping it from being driven currently is the trashed out 700R4. Finding one that isn’t problematic and needing rebuilt has been difficult. My options are to rebuild the one I have. Never done that before, pull the trans and take it to a shop and have it rebuilt. I could put a TH350 9n it. I think. I could just get me a 4L60 or 4L60e transmission. I’m really uncertain. I don’t want to blow my budet on a trans. Does anyone have any advise or suggestions. Getting rid of it is not an option. I’m committed to this build. TIA for your help. Please follow along as I do this. I will post any and all updates.

Attachments

• IMG_2690.jpeg
    IMG_2690.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2688.jpeg
    IMG_2688.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2706.jpeg
    IMG_2706.jpeg
    336.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2704.jpeg
    IMG_2704.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2705.jpeg
    IMG_2705.jpeg
    328.7 KB · Views: 4

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada.
That's a really nice looking truck! Those wheels are so cool! I'm a big stepside fan.
Now for my opinion, and I'm sure others will disagree.
If you have a good 454 and 350 trans ready to go, do it. Will require new motor mounts and rig up exhaust, probably a bigger radiator would be a good idea. Keep it carbed if you know your way around one. You would need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to dial the fuel pressure down for the carb.
There are threads on here about ditching fuel injector for carbs, use the search function. I'm not that knowledgeable in the subject, but I'm a cheap fella, and if you have the major components, limited knowledge of LS swaps and budget, I wouldn't hesitate to drop a big block in it.

92GMCDons

Reaction score
Welcome from Alberta Canada.
That's a really nice looking truck! Those wheels are so cool! I'm a big stepside fan.
Now for my opinion, and I'm sure others will disagree.
If you have a good 454 and 350 trans ready to go, do it. Will require new motor mounts and rig up exhaust, probably a bigger radiator would be a good idea. Keep it carbed if you know your way around one. You would need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to dial the fuel pressure down for the carb.
There are threads on here about ditching fuel injector for carbs, use the search function. I'm not that knowledgeable in the subject, but I'm a cheap fella, and if you have the major components, limited knowledge of LS swaps and budget, I wouldn't hesitate to drop a big block in it.
Thank you very much. The 454 is definitely an option. I already have it and who doesn’t like a big block, thanks for the compliment on the truck but it is rough. It’s a 75 footer. Looks good at 75 feet away…. Lol