92 4.3 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ace37

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've searched the forum and can't find what I'm looking for so hopefully I can get some straight and clear answers here. I have a 92 2wd w/t with the 4.3 tbi and nv3500, the 4.3 is probably 2/3 months away from going back to its creator so I'm trying to plan out a swap to be ready. What's the easiest and cheapest swap to do? My plan was a simple 350 TBI swap from a 88-94 truck, but open to other suggestions if they're decently priced and accessible. With the 350 swap, given I have the nv3500 and I'm not swapping transmissions, what all is needed for the swap? I want to avoid the electronics fiasco which is why I'm not thinking vortec or LS, but if there's a straightforward guide for the LS/nv3500 mate up and swap I'd take that as an option.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
A 4.3 to 4.3 is the easist swap.
If you are going to go from 4.3 to 5.7 grab a engine and harness from the treasure yard along with a fan shrould,engine mounts,fan and fan clutch, air filter housing and intake tubing, radiator and the hold down brackets at each top corner.
Pay attention to the core support opening. The 4.3 is usually not as wide side to side, some have a panel that can be unbolted and some will require some minor cutting to get proper air flow. It is not that big of an issue to cut the panel along the preformed rib on the core support.
I would suggest a new radiator and thermostat just because.I would grab the radiator hoses to make sure that the (NEW)ones you install are correct.
I am sure someon else will have suggestions on what to grab at the yard that I over looked.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...and review the sixty-something pages of posts involving DeCaff2007's V6-to-5.7L swap. They're spread out over two or three or four threads here in the Engine section; and they're a tale of tragedy and success. LEARN FROM HIM.

www.gmt400.com/threads/4-3l-to-swap.59181/

www.gmt400.com/threads/first-real-test-drive-today-after-v8-swap.65449/

www.gmt400.com/threads/oil-pressure-gauge-always-pegged.64442/

Last edited: