4.3 tbi to 4.3 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I just bought a 92 c1500 step side no motor or trans. I also have a 02 4.3 5 speed S10 that the frame has rusted out on. So the questions are, how well does the S10 nv3500 fit in these trucks, will the engine fit or will I need a new pan (both trucks are 2wd) and can I use the S10 engine harness and keep the vortec injection without screwing with the interior wiring harness to much. I did look around for post about this before posting but I wasn't seeing a whole lot about the 4.3 swap (I'm guessing probably because most people just swap in small blocks) but if you know of any threads talking about this or have any information please let me know, thanks in advance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of work to retain a V6.

I don't know, but I expect this is like most any TBI-to-Vortec swap--you need the donor computer, the entire computer wire harness, maybe the accessory drive brackets + accessories.

There'll be some fabricating, and re-tuning the computer. Did the '02 S10 have stepper-motor gauges controlled by the computer?

Was the '92 a manual-trans vehicle, or do you need to source the clutch pedal and linkage, too?

Reaction score
That's a lot of work to retain a V6.

I don't know, but I expect this is like most any TBI-to-Vortec swap--you need the donor computer, the entire computer wire harness, maybe the accessory drive brackets + accessories.

There'll be some fabricating, and re-tuning the computer. Did the '02 S10 have stepper-motor gauges controlled by the computer?

Was the '92 a manual-trans vehicle, or do you need to source the clutch pedal and linkage, too?
I know its a lot for a v6, but i already have 2 4.3 vortec engines laying around and iv got my 3/4 ton for work, my camaro and 1st gen s10 for fun so now i need something i can drive around for less than a hundred bucks a week. the truck is a manual and every thing is still there. I still have the s10 so every thing is there as far as the engine harness, i don't know about the gauges yet. The end goal would be to keep the CPI injection and the 88-94 dash in the truck (iv seen where people have taken 95-99 dashes and swaped the entire wiring harness, but my percenal opinion is that the 95-99 dash is ugly)

Reaction score
I just found a 4.3 tbi, i might end up just buying that, will a 4.3 tbi auto computer work with a muanel transmistion

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a computer-tuner. I don't know for sure. My guess is that the COMPUTER is the same, but the software inside is different. Maybe the wire harness, too. An auto trans is going to want to control a converter clutch, and if it's new enough, all the shift and pressure solenoids, too.

I suppose the manual-trans dash should have the ultra-annoying "upshift light". Doing without that would be an actual bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction score
ok thanks for the info, even though the up shift light would be nice because I have some friends I would like to teach to drive stick and it would probably make it easier for them but its not that big of a deal, would the computer trying to run the transmission affect how it runs, and does anyone know about the s10 nv3500 fitment in a full size truck?