@#$###&_+ GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I did install that POS but I'm sure I won't when I rebuild it. I have another valve body that I will install. It's the pressure switch's. I guess I couldn't spell to good. Thanks for telling me what I didnt want to hear and almost knew Nick'stransmission
Haha, no worries...The rest of the SK4L60E is fine as it does contain some useful corrective parts. Just put the electronic pressure control (EPC) over-pressure relief mod in the trash. Transgo designed it as a safeguard to dump excessive line pressure if/when the EPC itself fails...The EPC is basically a 'stop-down' for pressure so you're not running full/max line pressure at part throttle...If that happens, shifts become brutal to dangerous and parts inside the case, as well as the case itself, can break. But you can head that off by simply replacing the EPC solenoid at the proper service interval (think its every 100k or so).

Beyond that, 4L80Es are known for having worn actuator feed limit valve/valve bores that can result in insufficient apply oil being provided to the shift solenoids and EPC. If you start inexplicably slipping in gears, especially 3rd and 4th after VB replacement, I'd suspect the AFL valve (or TCC regulator valve - it's prone to wear also).

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes sir those 2 valves are on order along with new clutch's and a banner kit. Hoping like hell that's all. I've about run myself out of hard parts this last rebuild and you know someone always want cash for them. They never seam to let you borrow them for a while.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes sir those 2 valves are on order along with new clutch's and a banner kit. Hoping like hell that's all. I've about run myself out of hard parts this last rebuild and you know someone always want cash for them. They never seam to let you borrow them for a while.
Were all the one-way clutch assemblies, bushings and electronics replaced in the prior service or rebuild? If not, grab all them as well, if not already included in your kit. Id also rollerize the rear of the case and drill for all the standard lube mods once its all apart.

Check your pump (crescent wear), forward drum (sealing ring groove wear) and front planet (band surface warped/scored). That's what I typically see when it comes to hard parts in those transmissions. Ill have several 4L80E videos going up on the channel in the next week or so, in addition to starting a "4L80E Info" thead in this sub-forum so you will have quite a bit of print and video info to help you, as needed.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Were all the one-way clutch assemblies, bushings and electronics replaced in the prior service or rebuild? If not, grab all them as well, if not already included in your kit. Id also rollerize the rear of the case and drill for all the standard lube mods once its all apart.

Check your pump (crescent wear), forward drum (sealing ring groove wear) and front planet (band surface warped/scored). That's what I typically see when it comes to hard parts in those transmissions. Ill have several 4L80E videos going up on the channel in the next week or so, in addition to starting a "4L80E Info" thead in this sub-forum so you will have quite a bit of print and video info to help you, as needed.
Yes sir all bushings and one-way clutches we're replaced along with bonded pistons, new pump just for good measure, sun gear reaction gear out put shaft,(it had a grove in it). It wasn't real damn far from throwing the case in the scrap pile. I'd guess 4000 or 5000 miles and that's what would be where it went. I will rollerize that rear thank you. I be on here if I run into any problems.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, if you follow nicktransmissions advice and videos, you are setting yourself up for success.
I been in your shoes, did my own rebuild, then came the munchy noises. Had to pull it back out and go thru it again. After following nicktransmissions advice, it's a complete winner.
These trucks sometimes bite us and we wanna throw in the towel, but I'd rather push my old chevy than drive a newer one or even something else.

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well here we go I believe I'll rebuild this on when the parts show up. That should just make it and R&R. This one just need clutch's a couple of waves some bushings and maybe some one way clutch's. Now I just want to know if I can use someone's CC mine seams to be stuck in my pocket.

Attachments

• IMG_20240223_161333746.jpg
    IMG_20240223_161333746.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240223_161310499.jpg
    IMG_20240223_161310499.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 7

Deancr11

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I'm running out of them I have part of one left and 1 whole one unless that feller comes up with some cash. Good news I am down to 1 TH400 1TH350 1 700r4 and 1 4l60e 3 transfer cases and 1 BBC so it's getting better around here