1936 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I'm putting a 4.3 $l60E in my 36 GMC pickup truck. I want to use the NSS on the side of the trans. It has a 4 wire and a 7wire plug on the NSS. My question is which wires do I need to use to lock out no-start in gear and which wires for the back-up lights. I have an aftermarket tilt column w/o a NSS on the the tube. Do I need to use a bosch relay? I have the wiring diagram but it has the wire's going to the computer and to the OE fuse box, which just confuse me to no end :(

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There should be pinouts for the range switch in the service manuals beginning in 1995 as that's when that style of switch began in these trucks. Check the "Engine" section of the board here as there's a post with all the service manuals scanned in, free to download, and look 'em up.

Since the aftermarket column you're using has a NSS already you could just as easily wire the neutral/park safety, and reverse lights, to it. You've got two of these switches where you normally just need one, so consider whatever you've got for a wiring harness in your custom vehicle and choose which path would be more convenient for you to wire. Hopefully it has provisions for you to use an electronically shifted transmission like the 4L60E as it requires a computer to control it.

Richard