1995 GMC 1500 Manual Transmission- Do I have a Transmission Cooler on the Radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Benny B

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1995 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.7 Liter, 5 Speed Manual, 2wd Truck. My Radiator is leaking and needs to be replaced. I am confused with which replacement radiator buy.

Does my manual truck have a Transmission Cooler? I see Rock Auto sells some radiators without any transmission coolers. Or....dumb question, How can I tell if my truck has a transmission cooler in radiator?

Thank you,

Ben

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1995 GMC Sierra 1500, 5.7 Liter, 5 Speed Manual, 2wd Truck. My Radiator is leaking and needs to be replaced. I am confused with which replacement radiator buy.

Does my manual truck have a Transmission Cooler? I see Rock Auto sells some radiators without any transmission coolers. Or....dumb question, How can I tell if my truck has a transmission cooler in radiator?

Thank you,

Ben

Unlikely a Manual trans has an OE cooler; there's no OE pump to move fluid to-from radiator.
OTOH, an auto trans has an integral pump that moves fluid to-from rad.
Look at PASSENGER side radiator tank; if it has Two small fittings (upper & lower) with lines attached, then it has a trans cooler. But, with no fittings & no small lines on Passenger tank, that means no trans cooler.

Also, if rad cap is on Passenger tank, and if it has a trans cooler --- you can look down into tank and see cooler stack.

*some engines have an OE Engine Oil Cooler (EOC) integral to DRIVER side rad tank; this accomplished in similar manner to aforementioned OE Transmission Oil Cooler (TOC).

Benny B

Reaction score
So if I need the Engine Oil Cooler then I will see the smaller lines on the Drivers side of my current radiator? Thanks!

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This question brings conflicting thoughts...