Transmission issues after replacing radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SterlingT

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen.. I need help.. I bought my son a 1994 GMC 1500 ext cab.. minor issues, at first.. but let me start where the problem is now.. it started having slight over-heating issues. After "trying" to drain the rad and perform a flush, the drain port was completely clogged. Further investigated and found all kind of nasty gunk pouring out the neck which I naturally assume to be "stop leak". I opted to replace the rad, upper and lower hose, flush the system, look for leaks after adding only water... then.. the water pump started weeping out the lower hole.. replaced it.. leak ck again and good to go.. replaced water with 50/50. My son started to drive it to school (3 miles away) and issues of the transmission NOT changing gears.. I drove it and it seems as though it no longer changes gears, i.e. into 2nd, 3rd or anything else besides reverse.. after changing the radiator, do you think the system needs to be bled? Please help... thanking you in advance

SterlingT

Reaction score
It was slightly low while running, added to fill... I bought the truck well over a year ago and he's been driving it and so have I. Not once did he or I have an issue with it shifting. Completely smooth

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The transmission and radiator are only related by means of the trans cooler. The only way a radiator swap could affect the trans is by a lower fluid level caused by disconnecting the lines. Usually the stick is dry when it's so low that it can't engage the gears. Since it was only slightly low, most likely the radiator has nothing to do with your trans issues.

SterlingT

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, too... damn the timing... lol.. just so weird.. What do you think I should try? (besides the obvious.. rebuild transmission.. lol)

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen.. I need help.. I bought my son a 1994 GMC 1500 ext cab.. minor issues, at first.. but let me start where the problem is now.. it started having slight over-heating issues. After "trying" to drain the rad and perform a flush, the drain port was completely clogged. Further investigated and found all kind of nasty gunk pouring out the neck which I naturally assume to be "stop leak". I opted to replace the rad, upper and lower hose, flush the system, look for leaks after adding only water... then.. the water pump started weeping out the lower hole.. replaced it.. leak ck again and good to go.. replaced water with 50/50. My son started to drive it to school (3 miles away) and issues of the transmission NOT changing gears.. I drove it and it seems as though it no longer changes gears, i.e. into 2nd, 3rd or anything else besides reverse.. after changing the radiator, do you think the system needs to be bled? Please help... thanking you in advance
You have a 4L60E...Do you have any forward movement in any range setting (D, D3, 2 or 1) or is it basically in neutral?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No sweat if you had 2 one would be on the right side or the rad and the aux cooler would be in the front right side behind the grill