Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyk

Reaction score
Hi I have a 1995 chevy k1500 short-bed stepside with the 305. It has a 5 speed which I believe is the nv3500. The previous owner had replaced the radiator with an aftermarket aluminum one and there are ports on the passenger side that I’ve seen automatic transmissions hooked up to, but mine didn’t have the lines. Do manual transmissions need cooler lines? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Nope. NV3500 is a 'light-duty' trans and there's nothing much you can do to improve it besides cryo treating the internals.

The NV4500 can have additional cooling by adding extra capacity to the PTO covers with spacers like the pic below.

But manual transmissions really dont need it unless your going WOT on LONG stretches. And even then just switching to a better/heavier oil is usually enough to keep them from damaging anything.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reaction score
I was looking for answer to this same question :) I have a 5 speed 95 and am looking for the correct radiator as well

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nope. NV3500 is a 'light-duty' trans and there's nothing much you can do to improve it besides cryo treating the internals.

The NV4500 can have additional cooling by adding extra capacity to the PTO covers with spacers like the pic below.

But manual transmissions really dont need it unless your going WOT on LONG stretches. And even then just switching to a better/heavier oil is usually enough to keep them from damaging anything.

Those are crazy.. I'd seen them a while back and forgot all about them. I guess if I was doing a lot of heavy towing with an NV4500 those might be a good idea.

BTW I did have to go check out of curiosity.. $350

There's this one too, for $127 on a single piece:

Uhhh.. again they're for NV4500's, sorry for the threadjack

Richard

Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The aluminum housing on the NV3500 tends to help keep oil temps cool as long as you keep the housing clean. All it takes is a quick pass with a pressure washer or even a good jet nozzle on a water hose. If heavily gunked shoot it with degreaser first.