1997 Chevy 1500 Silverado z71 Auto to manual transmission swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I have a 1997 chevy silverado z71 package 4x4 and the automatic transmission just recently took a dump on me. I’ve decided to swap an nv3500 5 speed in it to replace the automatic I bought a parts truck a 1991 chevy 1500 4x4 with an nv3500 that works. So I’m woundering if the automatic buttons for the 4 hi 4 lo and 2wd buttons that are on the dash will work with the manual or if I’d have to put the whole floor shifter for the 4hi 4lo and stuff or do I need to do something else for it thanks and if there’s other things I should know too it would be greatly appreciated

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're keeping the same transfer case and axle actuator, I'd expect all the stock controls for the transfer case and actuator to still work.

Not sure why you'd go to the effort to install a NV3500 trans.

I have no idea how the computer is going to act with the wrong transmission in the vehicle. The computer will be trying to activate the TCC and shift solenoids and such.

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Computer will need reprogrammed. The ECU will be expecting a certain speed of the vehicle given the gear it thinks it is in. It will probably drive as is but may not act reasonably when lugging at low rpms.

When I did my swap in a 2wd I also needed a new driveshaft. May not be the case with your 4wd truck.

Marks should be on the firewall for the master cylinder. You will need a hole saw.