1994 5.7 TBI installing Harmonic balancer, crankshaft balancer, vibration dampener etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustinJ94FSB

Reaction score
A lot of mechanics will put a dab of RTV on the woodruff key channel in the balancer to help prevent leaks. It's also a good idea.
Yup. Need to seal the keyed area in particular, and the entire snout-to-damper in general.

Some silicone sealer on the ID of the damper especially at the keyway groove. And then use the big nut and bearing/washer to force the damper in place.

When i was doing this balancer job, i did not know there was a seal to replace and i was already in the process of putting the balancer back on when i asked for help determining if i was doing it correct. I had a couple people ask if i replaced the seal. I said no cause it was not leaking before and so i didnt think about it. They recommended i change it since ive disrupted an old seal and thats a common cause of a new leak. Deciding to not take the advice, i proceeded to install the balancer. also because i had the balancer torqued on 90% of the way i let my lack of patience and experience take the wheel. I torqued the balancer on to the proper spec, and called it good.

Not using RTV sealant on the shaft end of the balancer or the woodruff key, and not replacing the seal, now that i have got the truck running like new by replacing everything chasing another issue (which i solved today), ive discovered the good sized leak visible on the bottom of the engine bay, is very likely coming from the balancer or that seal. The inside of the balancer pulley has wet oil residue in it. Looks like i get another project! i hate when i run out of those :D

thanks everyone for sharing knowledge and helping me as i make my own mistakes and learn from them.

will report back here once ive pulled the balancer back out, replaced the seal, and installed it properly using RTV!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can I buy this tool at?
Amazon, most likely. And a dozen (or a hundred) other tool retailers.

It's called a Pin Spanner, or similar. The "big" problem will be finding one large enough. Most of 'em I saw were 1/3 the size you'd want.

If this were me, I'd cram two bolt shanks into the holes, and wedge a pry-bar between them. Or lock the flywheel instead.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When i was doing this balancer job, i did not know there was a seal to replace and i was already in the process of putting the balancer back on when i asked for help determining if i was doing it correct. I had a couple people ask if i replaced the seal. I said no cause it was not leaking before and so i didnt think about it. They recommended i change it since ive disrupted an old seal and thats a common cause of a new leak. Deciding to not take the advice, i proceeded to install the balancer. also because i had the balancer torqued on 90% of the way i let my lack of patience and experience take the wheel. I torqued the balancer on to the proper spec, and called it good.

Not using RTV sealant on the shaft end of the balancer or the woodruff key, and not replacing the seal, now that i have got the truck running like new by replacing everything chasing another issue (which i solved today), ive discovered the good sized leak visible on the bottom of the engine bay, is very likely coming from the balancer or that seal. The inside of the balancer pulley has wet oil residue in it. Looks like i get another project! i hate when i run out of those :D

thanks everyone for sharing knowledge and helping me as i make my own mistakes and learn from them.

will report back here once ive pulled the balancer back out, replaced the seal, and installed it properly using RTV!
better sooner than later, oil soaking the tubber ring on the balancer is not a good thing

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is what I did instead...

Rented the tool from O'Reilly's - fan clutch bolt holder

Cut down two bolts

Pushed the bolts through the holes and used the tool in the back of the HB.

Presto magico cuz! Lol

Attachments

• 20231224_160330~2.jpg
    20231224_160330~2.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231224_160636~2.jpg
    20231224_160636~2.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20231224_160651~2.jpg
    20231224_160651~2.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 7

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know. I'm in Scotland and if I remember correctly - I think I stole mine! (as in it followed me home from work).
Can't wait to step foot into your country! I named one of my sons (which I have 6) William Wallace! Actually he's the boy in the red shorts in my avatar, and now he's 18...

Merry Christmas

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My balancer is fighting me. I don't have a gun small enough to fit without using a universal joint to get the puller tightened (not enough power) and can't wrench it without the crank turning. I'm guessing you can't pry something in the balancer as you would to tighten the crank bolt.
How do I keep the crank from turning so I can remove the balancer?
Please don't tell me I have to remove the exhaust and bell housing cover....or starter...