Wheel balancing beads “ Do they really help”?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Dots.

Because it’s nearly impossible to manufacture a perfectly balanced, perfectly round tire, manufacturers identify any irregularities with red &/or yellow dots.

The yellow dot on a tire indicates the point where the tire weighs the least. Usually directly across from where the cords of the tire are overlapped during construction.
If your tire is mounted properly, that yellow dot should be very close to the valve stem.
The valve stem is the heaviest point of the wheel.
The yellow dot is the lightest point on the tire.

The red dot on a tire indicates where the tire is the flattest or the lowest point on the tire.
This should line up directly across from the highest point on the wheel.
That is usually noted by another colored dot or a notch in the wheel.

If a tire has both red and yellow dots, the red dot takes priority.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dots.

Because it’s nearly impossible to manufacture a perfectly balanced, perfectly round tire, manufacturers identify any irregularities with red &/or yellow dots.

The yellow dot on a tire indicates the point where the tire weighs the least. Usually directly across from where the cords of the tire are overlapped during construction.
If your tire is mounted properly, that yellow dot should be very close to the valve stem.

The red dot on a tire indicates where the tire is the flattest or the lowest point on the tire.

Well that’s some useful information to know !
Hopefully or you’d think you would not have to relay that technical info to a (Big box) shop such as discount .. I suppose that the balancing machine must technically indicate the same thing as the (Dots) if the dots are truly in the right position…but I feel like not every tech would know that . I’ll know in a few tires are being done .. I’m gonna check on
that ((Color dot)) location when I pick up the truck . Would be interesting to know just based of that dot location and color if you already can surely Know if a tire is bunk before you even mount it .. hmm?

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dots.

Question would it matter if you faced/mounted the dot location facing in or out ? Even if the dots represent the flat or low or heavy spot does that placement account for both sides of the tire ?
I always told them to do black wall out but the Dots on the last two sets of tires I had mounted facing in

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Question would it matter if you faced/mounted the dot location facing in or out ? Even if the dots represent the flat or low or heavy spot does that placement account for both sides of the tire ?
I always told them to do black wall out but the Dots on the last two sets of tires I had mounted facing in
Good question.
Having the dots on either the inside or the out wouldn't make a difference as the imperfections in both the wheel & the rim run from side to side.
I always run blackwalls out.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good question.
Having the dots on either the inside or the out wouldn't make a difference as the imperfections in both the wheel & the rim run from side to side.
I always run blackwalls out

So I called back to inquire about things now I get told whelp’ we hate your wheels and tires, they happen to be reverse mount , In Which they wanted to proceed to explain what seemed to be a guaranteed pitch that I could end up with a gouged or scratch rim face because they have to dismount from The front. I wasn’t aware of this being common scenario with most off road wheels or ((Wider Rims)) ‘ smh so the industry hasn’t implemented wheel/ tire machinery that can at least 98% avoid that probability

Gotta go back in few hours to see the outcome . So I guess anyone with Powder coat wheels can and should expect to have their wheel face slightly or moderately trashed in the course of ever having to change or remove tires for legit purposes.. wear belt failure etc ..
I wonder for future reference what the difference is to look for when choosing a wheel and the specs that ensures a ((Normal)) mount and dismount that way the face isn’t in harms way.

I don’t even wanna deal with this going foreword all cause of a wheel design or the inability to at least 98% guarantee a safe dismount .
I could easily change wheel type in the future over such sh**
If you had to choose discount or belle tire what would the general consensus say ?
Or …. Oddly the small Mom and Pops shops being better equipped?
I heard discount was one of the only places that had the most modern wheel machine that does the job well , and I mean that in terms of mainly handling Larger than normal wheels .

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I called back to inquire about things now I get told whelp’ we hate your wheels and tires, they happen to be reverse mount , In Which they wanted to proceed to explain what seemed to be a guaranteed pitch that I could end up with a gouged or scratch rim face because they have to dismount from The front. I wasn’t aware of this being common scenario with most off road wheels or ((Wider Rims)) ‘ smh so the industry hasn’t implemented wheel/ tire machinery that can at least 98% avoid that probability

Gotta go back in few hours to see the outcome . So I guess anyone with Powder coat wheels can and should expect to have their wheel face slightly or moderately trashed in the course of ever having to change or remove tires for legit purposes.. wear belt failure etc ..
I wonder for future reference what the difference is to look for when choosing a wheel and the specs that ensures a ((Normal)) mount and dismount that way the face isn’t in harms way.

I don’t even wanna deal with this going foreword all cause of a wheel design or the inability to at least 98% guarantee a safe dismount .
I could easily change wheel type in the future over such sh**
If you had to choose discount or belle tire what would the general consensus say ?
Or …. Oddly the small Mom and Pops shops being better equipped?
I heard discount was one of the only places that had the most modern wheel machine that does the job well , and I mean that in terms of mainly handling Larger than normal wheels .
Huh? The are machines that are "no touch" Maybe not at a place that has discount in it's title as it's a high dollar machine. Even those "no touch" that I've seen remove the tire from the outside face of the wheel. Typically they clamp to the machine from the backside. For everything else there are rim protectors. Need to find a place that cares about what they do. Tire guy is generally entry level job and for those that can't survive as a mechanic.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Even if they must reverse mount the tire, meaning they put the wheel face-first onto the machine, rim clamp style machines have plastic protectors they can slip over the clamps to not damage the wheels.

Regardless, I watched as a "tech" at NTB got ready to put a brand new wheel of mine face-first onto a rim clamp without the protectors, as I was grabbing the next wheel out of the bed of my truck. I hollered across the shop for him to STOP before he destroyed the wheel.

It should be noted that rim clamp tire machines can grab the wheel from the outside edge of the rim, or press against the inside of the hoop. Obviously if you're putting the face of the wheel into the rim clamp, it should be setup to grab from the outside edge of the rim, and have protectors installed.

Richard

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I probably would've said let me think about it for a bit and popped in to see if they had already damaged them..... before letting you know it's a possibility...
Ended up being a 100% resolved dismount and mount .. went well ‘ amp damage and did check in I called I raised a big concern in person ..
I mean it’s prob gonna be tech error if it does happen , but I had a seasoned guy do the swap in the end .
The counter sales guy ((Idiot)) ,could have not necessarily implied that this was 50/50 gonna happen vs just saying this could happen, or rarely happens.

But I guess now I know keep a good tire on the wheel for long term usage rather then trying out anything causing a repetitive mount dismount like today

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Even if they must reverse mount the tire, meaning they put the wheel face-first onto the machine, rim clamp style machines have plastic protectors they can slip over the clamps to not damage the wheels.

Regardless, I watched as a "tech" at NTB got ready to put a brand new wheel of mine face-first onto a rim clamp without the protectors, as I was grabbing the next wheel out of the bed of my truck. I hollered across the shop for him to STOP before he destroyed the wheel.

It should be noted that rim clamp tire machines can grab the wheel from the outside edge of the rim, or press against the inside of the hoop. Obviously if you're putting the face of the wheel into the rim clamp, it should be setup to grab from the outside edge of the rim, and have protectors installed.

Richard
I took a look at their machine and clamps , didn’t notice the plastic protectors.. lll be sure to keep that in mind next time if there is a next
The rim lip and face was fine .

…actually im gonna end up buying Cooper ATP 2 tires , down the line soon , so yea there will be a next time.