Changing tires fast ‘ Going opposite ways ..Need opinions on what will ride smoother and be good for a 5k suv ”

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m doing away with this R/T 33” tires right quick …before my return window closes .. just not a comfortable drive on highway .. even tho I drive them on some rough terrain .
I am looking for something very comparable in size I wanted to get something the same size nearly but in a All season normal tread compound and pattern that will road force balance out better but still stay very close to 33” tall 12-12.5” wide but with Normal Highway tread , Street tread !

Was thinking a 305/50r20 or 305/55r20 is about as close as it gets ?
Would an A/T L/T be better suited for daily? Assuming L/T means light terrain ? I also wanted to see if anyone thinks I’d have better reliability or a smoother ride with a street tire on these wheels. Like a straight Normal all season maybe a Nitto ? But are all seasons good for a heavy suv? Would I want a load rating of E10 or better ?

I could stay with an all terrain. These R/T tires are just to aggressive for a daily driver, never could I imagine going across states in my suburban in comfort with them …I also don’t wanna throw away one last shot at a replacement and end up hating a straight all terrain which is supposed to be less agressivs then a R/T What would suggest ?

These are what I got to shaky to loud to not nice

You must be registered for see images attach

A Tire with this type of tread pretty much like this was my idea at this point, but still be large enough to fill the lift and fill the void on 20” wheels

Or maybe back down to a set of 305/50r20 all terrains like these . Which seem a lot less aggressive then the R/T’s I have, even though these are all terrain .. I do not want an all terrain that even remotely mimics a R/T tire tread with lousy drive ability . Just need a good street-able tire but same size or close to these 33s but with wayyyy lighter tread pattern

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A 50 series tire has a stiffer sidewall therefore it inherently has a harder ride.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I've seen a ton of people recommend Toyo AT3s, for their durability, performance, and low noise for an AT tire. Enough that I'll probably be going that direction when I need tires for my daily.

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your third picture looks close to some Cooper AT3's I had. They were quiet on the highway, good mileage out of them, and still got me lots of places without any roads. Did a lot of traveling across the states on them, I was happy.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not opposed to the firm ride it was never the best on a 235/75/15 stock … I guess that’s not the problem. The problem is the disproportionate unbalanced situation with these tires. They don’t balance out good they suck at high-speeds 70-80. But I got to run something on these 20” wheels they are not being sold or returned. Just looking for a set under a grand thats comparable in size to a 33x12.50r20 I guess give or take an inch in width an height

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your third picture looks close to some Cooper AT3's I had. They were quiet on the highway, good mileage out of them, and still got me lots of places without any roads. Did a lot of traveling across the states on them, I was happy.
I mean, most of the options are still all-terrains I’m seeing
I was thinking of just a normal street tire .. something plain Jane .. but large enough to fit the build…I guess I haven’t really ran an all-terrain on either one of my trucks ever … only M/T and R/T and I know both are not for my liking for highway commute discount tire told me all terrains do not balance out nicely and rugged terrain, and mud terrain surely do not at all.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I kind of wanna run something just like the second photo on the red truck that kind of tread

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The balance even on brand new wheels is not there the control for me imo is just not there with mud terrain, and R/T tires on the interstate It was an ignorant purchase on my part. I’ll admit it. I plan on going places with my truck across states just wanna find a good tire that looks good. Fits a larger wheel still has the wider look/ stance

That’s why I said I still wanted to stay with something that was close to
33 x 12 1/2 or 32 x 12. Any smaller a tires not gonna look good with a 6 inch lift. I mean it is a 2 Wheel Dr. truck no reason to have knobbies , so I guess at this point I’m going for a street look even though it’s lifted. It’s kind of sort of throws away the all-terrain idea. Not fully but kind of.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I've run ATs several times, mostly BFGs, and never noticed any balance issues, on trucks from an S10 to a 2500. The only reason I didn't recommend BFG ATs, is they get noisy after a while. Very noticeable on the 2500.

I had a set of MTs on a 1500, Cooper STT, if I remember correct. Cool looking, and did pretty good in the little bit of mud they seen, but holy crap, were they loud at highway speed. I knew then, I'd never buy another set.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've run ATs several times, mostly BFGs, and never noticed any balance issues, on trucks from an S10 to a 2500. The only reason I didn't recommend BFG ATs, is they get noisy after a while. Very noticeable on the 2500.

I had a set of MTs on a 1500, Cooper STT, if I remember correct. Cool looking, and did pretty good in the little bit of mud they seen, but holy crap, were they loud at highway speed. I knew then, I'd never buy another set.
I agree that’s a scenario I am in and they look good it fits the build
((looks wise)) but going forward driving this way o R/T ain’t gonna cut it so I guess I’m looking for a good stable tire that’s good for SUV normal tread but still equivalent to a 33 x 12 1/2
If I do the math on tire size.com
305-50-20 is 32 x 12, so it is as close as you’re gonna get without going over.