1996 Tahoe Rear Suspension Opinions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
95burban, I’ll try the Hellwig kit just in case I don’t have the OE mounting points, I just called Hellwig to make sure it fits the 2DR they said yes so I’ll order it and go from there. The cost doesn’t matter to me I plan on keeping this for life and taking my time getting it how I want it. But the input and knowledge is greatly appreciated.
You said "Hellwig kit"? Are you doing just one end?

DarkVador96

Reaction score
@0xDEADBEEF, I think everyone’s trucks perform differently just by variances in manufacturing, some trucks get taken care of better than others some parts just have greater fatigue and emphasize movement differently. I’m just speaking for my truck and how it feels when I drive it, and if someone else has the same issue and a good solution. Not trying to knock anyones views just looking for opinions for improvement.

Last edited:

DarkVador96

Reaction score
When you get the kits, two things. Make sure you have silicone grease on hand, to lube around where the bushings wrap the bars and anyplace the bushings have metal touching them. Smoother and quieter. Secondly, start a build thread for the whole process.
Thanks for that information especially from first hand experience it’s invaluable. I have a build thread with everything I’ve done to it from where I got it to things I’ve done. I’ll update it in a couple of months after I purchase and install it so that information gets put out there for the next person. And thanks again for the input.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
0xDEADBEEF, I think everyone’s trucks perform differently just by variances in manufacturing, some trucks get taken care of better than others some parts just have greater fatigue and emphasize movement differently. I’m just speaking for my truck and how it feels when I drive it, and if someone else has the same issue and a good solution. Not trying to knock anyones views just looking for opinions for improvement.
When you want to tag a member, and get their attention, add the @ in front of their screen name and that will do it. For instance, @DarkVador96, getting front and rear kits or just one kit?

DarkVador96

Reaction score
You said "Hellwig kit"? Are you doing just one end?
Yes just the rear, everything in my front end is brand new and rear shocks with maybe 4k miles on everything. I was going to replace the leaf spring and shackles at that time but had other things going on. I’m in the process of having everything done how I want it. Engine,trans,wheels,brakes,interior and paint. My suspension,brakes and interior(still have small things to do) are complete. I’m undecided on my motor,wheels and paint color to go with.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@0xDEADBEEF, I think everyone’s trucks perform differently just by variances in manufacturing, some trucks get taken care of better than others some parts just have greater fatigue and emphasize movement differently. I’m just speaking for my truck and how it feels when I drive it, and if someone else has the same issue and a good solution. Not trying to knock anyones views just looking for opinions for improvement.

Sure, but I think you might have something else going on. Have you had the alignment checked?

Mine's got a 1/4 million miles on it and drives real nice on the highway.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes just the rear, everything in my front end is brand new and rear shocks with maybe 4k miles on everything. I was going to replace the leaf spring and shackles at that time but had other things going on. I’m in the process of having everything done how I want it. Engine,trans,wheels,brakes,interior and paint. My suspension,brakes and interior(still have small things to do) are complete. I’m undecided on my motor,wheels and paint color to go with.
You will experience a better feel from the rear sway bar kit but is better with both. Best part is, you can always add later, if you desire.

DarkVador96

Reaction score
Sure, but I think you might have something else going on. Have you had the alignment checked?

Mine's got a 1/4 million miles on it and drives real nice on the highway.
Mines has 320k on it now but had 315k when I had everything in my front suspension replaced and an alignment done at the same time. I replaced the rear shocks, both axle shafts, both axle bearings and replaced front/ rear brakes at that time. That helped with sway tremendously as the right side axle was grinding into the axle bearing pretty bad. So now its process of elimination, I can replace leafs, shackles, bushings and add the sway bar but will it improve driving stability at higher speeds and wind turbulence for a 30yr old truck or is it worth it to step up to the next best thing.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
By the way @DarkVador96, the rear sway bar stiffness is adjustable. The links have 3 levels/degrees of stiffness. At least on mine they do. I use the middle setting and it is just fine. My 2005 GMT800 Z71 Tahoe can go thru tight cloverleaf exit and entrance to highway at pretty much 20-25 mph faster than I could before and the body lean is almost non existent. Pretty much, the only thing leaning, is me.

DarkVador96

Reaction score
By the way @DarkVador96, the rear sway bar stiffness is adjustable. The links have 3 levels/degrees of stiffness. At least on mine they do. I use the middle setting and it is just fine. My 2005 GMT800 Z71 Tahoe can go thru tight cloverleaf exit and entrance to highway at pretty much 20-25 mph faster than I could before and the body lean is almost non existent. Pretty much, the only thing leaning, is me.
That’s a huge improvement for adding a sway bar. I’m currently looking more into the Hellwig setup on this and other platforms as I’m typing this. I feel like it’s a great kit but I haven’t fully committed to anything until I get under my truck and take measurements, check my frame for squareness, suspension travel and get certain degree angles and go from there. The opinions were appreciated I just wanted to see different options before I get dead set on one thing and run with it.

Last edited: