1996 Tahoe Rear Suspension Opinions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarkVador96

Reaction score
Have of 96 2 DR Tahoe 4x4 and I’m welcoming any and all input for this topic before moving forward down the road, I’ll make it clear I’m seeking opinions and first hand experience. I’m not offroading it at all just daily street driving and highway cruising. Pictures are for reference only.

I absolutely hate how the rear is set up with leaf springs and shocks the rear has decent forward/rearward control but terrible lateral movement and it feels unstable at certain speeds when taking or exiting corners let alone when the wind blows and it gets squirmy. So heres what I’m thinking theoretically and not implementing until I have the correct information.

1.) I’m looking at a Ford 9 and triangulated 4 link set up with double adjustable coil-overs either King or Fox. Widen the rear 1 inch on both sides to make the front/rear wheels square, stock the front wheels stick out 1/2-1 inch(depending on wheel offset) farther than the rear so this will hopefully provide a tighter steering radius. And a possible watts link to eliminate lateral movement and dial in my shock valving for my driving preference. Suspension travel and pinion angle will be checked during mock up so I can get the appropriate shock length/size(2.0,2.5,3.0 body size).

2.) Keep the stock leaf springs and shocks but just add the watts link to the chassis frame and connect it to the 8.5 axle tubes for better lateral control.
A panhard bar with heim joints is an option with this setup as well.

Attachments

• IMG_3038.png
    IMG_3038.png
    580.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3024.jpeg
    IMG_3024.jpeg
    273.3 KB · Views: 11

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Do as you wish but I can attest that on my 2005 Z71, the biggest seat of the pants improvement that I have made to the handling of my truck, is the front and rear sway bar kits that I bought at Hellwig. I like performance from my engine but not crazy. I have a slight tune that was done by Black Bear Performance. BUT, I really like handling upgrades and those front and rear sway bar kits are the s*h*i*t....

DarkVador96

Reaction score
I just looked at the Hellwig rear sway bar kit for 92-00 K-Series, the instructions has it bolted to the frame and connected to the axle using what looks like U-Bolts and a steel bracket to apply clamping force. My Tahoe factory doesn’t have a sway bar, but I like the idea of it I just have to look into it a little more. And I appreciate your input on the topic.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I forgot to say that, my kits really helped with the side to side sway feel from wind and larger vehicles passing.

DarkVador96

Reaction score
Thats my main problem with the rear, city driving is ok but highway driving…. Yikes lol. The front I just chalked up to bad engineering for IFS. I don’t expect it to outperform a 2020+ Tahoe but feel more stable at higher speeds and wind turbulence. But I value everyones opinion on improvements and what does and doesn’t work for this platform.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
IMO, it is less expensive to install the sway bar kits to achieve what you want. If cost is no concern, go for it. I do think you will be pleasantly pleased with the Hellwig bars outcome. If you ever sell the vehicle, 2 door Tahoe, mainly stock, IMO, makes it more desirable and to a bigger audience. I owned a 2 door Tahoe, brand new, white and black trim, Sport model. I wish I still had that bone stock truck.

DarkVador96

Reaction score
95burban, I’ll try the Hellwig kit just in case I don’t have the OE mounting points, I just called Hellwig to make sure it fits the 2DR they said yes so I’ll order it and go from there. The cost doesn’t matter to me I plan on keeping this for life and taking my time getting it how I want it. But the input and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't feel that at all in my '96 2 door Ho. I'll have a peak underneath it later to see if it has a sway.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you get the kits, two things. Make sure you have silicone grease on hand, to lube around where the bushings wrap the bars and anyplace the bushings have metal touching them. Smoother and quieter. Secondly, start a build thread for the whole process.