Tires feel like balloons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paveldzh

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a 97' c1500 with a 2/4 drop using Amazon china special spindles. I have 15"-9" wheels with mystery offset, running 275/60 bf Goodrich radial tires.

They feel like hot garbage, it's legitimately like riding with blown shocks and ultra soft springs with how much these tires flex and wobble. Also the poke on the front wheels is insane, they stick out past the fender like 2 inches it's horrific. The previous owner must have liked it but I sure don't.

Is the tire thing normal? Would normal 15"-7" wheels and 235/75 stock sizing feel better or should I go with a bigger diameter? What offset would be the best to be flush?
You must be registered for see images attach

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what the ratings are of that tire but, I think certain tires can be balloon feeling if the ratings aren't jiving with the application....

Seen those on a lot of cars for sure....

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
Generally, the 275/60-15s are XL rated tires, usually put on Vans and large cars...so it's probably not a load rating issue. Those specific BFGs are rated (each) for 2149lbs @ 35PSI, so more than enough for that truck. For comparison, the load range C BFG AT KO2 in the 235/75-15 is rated for 1985lbs @ 50PSI.

We ran that size (Firestone Firehawk) on our 88 C1500 long bed for years (1999 thru 2007-ish) with no handling issues, save for an extreme traction deficiency in snow (and to a point, rain). Loaded the back with a couple yards of mulch and river rock on multiple occasions, with no major issues or complaints. In fact they felt the exact opposite of what the OP is describing. Very stiff, had loads of grip (on dry pavement), with way less sidewall roll in hard cornering.

OP, how long have you had the truck? What lowering kit was used and what shocks? Have you replaced any suspension components, shocks, etc.? When was the alignment last done?

What PSI are you running in the front tires? Also, what is the date code on the tires?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running 275/60-15 Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s on Way Cool Jr. How old is your suspension? Mine's freshly rebuilt and I'm running a Suburban rear sway bar.

Compared to my Mustang, yeah, it feels like I'm running around on balloons. Compared to my son's '94 C1500 running on stock size tires, it feels much better. Stepping up to 17s with shorter sidewalls will help with the balloon feeling, but the roads around here suck, so I'm sticking with 15s.

paveldzh

Reaction score
Generally, the 275/60-15s are XL rated tires, usually put on Vans and large cars...so it's probably not a load rating issue. Those specific BFGs are rated (each) for 2149lbs @ 35PSI, so more than enough for that truck. For comparison, the load range C BFG AT KO2 in the 235/75-15 is rated for 1985lbs @ 50PSI.

We ran that size (Firestone Firehawk) on our 88 C1500 long bed for years (1999 thru 2007-ish) with no handling issues, save for an extreme traction deficiency in snow (and to a point, rain). Loaded the back with a couple yards of mulch and river rock on multiple occasions, with no major issues or complaints. In fact they felt the exact opposite of what the OP is describing. Very stiff, had loads of grip (on dry pavement), with way less sidewall roll in hard cornering.

OP, how long have you had the truck? What lowering kit was used and what shocks? Have you replaced any suspension components, shocks, etc.? When was the alignment last done?

What PSI are you running in the front tires? Also, what is the date code on the tires?
I haven't had the truck for too long, a couple months but 99% of that time was spent working on it in the driveway. Rear is bell tech shackles and front is china special spindle. Rear shocks are bell tech nitro drop 2 and front is OE style shocks. Have 2500 springs in the rear as well. Alignment is completely wrong because I messed with all of it, I plan on getting it aligned soon. I'm running past the rated PSI at 40psi front and rear in those tires, I believe they're about 5 years old as well.

Regardless even stationary in the driveway when you give the truck a shake it wobbles and bounces but the suspension doesn't move, it really just seems like these tires have a super soft sidewall that doesn't do much. It's also annoying because on discount tire I have like 5 options of tire with only 3 of them being viable. seems like a semi rare size. The only tire that seems decent in this size is the Cooper cobra.

I'm also running Firehawk Indy 500's on my Subaru and they feel great. Good tire for daily/light track use.