1994 5.7 TBI installing Harmonic balancer, crankshaft balancer, vibration dampener etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Damper is TOTALLY INSTALLED and torqued before the pulley goes on.
So the timing line on the outer ring of the damper is only supposed to be visible from the side and not a bit on the top?
The pulley is in line with the others now. If I were to crank the damper down any more, which I don't know that I can, it would have to be the thickness of that fat washer and the damper will disappear under the timing gauge teeth?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't torque it yet, you may have to pull that bolt to install the crank pulley. Sometimes the center hole in the pulley is too small to fit over the big crank bolt washer. IIRC mine was...
This was mentioned earlier in this thread as well?

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's another video. It's dark now so you can't see the light on other side showing the inner section(rubber strip maybe?) wobbling. It's definitely wobbly or something on the inside diameter of the damper......
The crank pulley is smooth...the outer ring of the damper is straight and smooth...It's just like that rubber ring is flailing or uneven..It's disturbing for sure....

Is it possible that the balancer is doing it's job and I have some other issue? I did peek with a scope in the weep hole on the bell housing a couple of weeks ago cover and I swear I saw some wobble there..(maybe flexplate?) but I need to investigate further because the scope won't fit in that hole and it was disorienting trying to figure out what I was looking at.....

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just came across this... The one thing I did not do is torque the crank bolt then remove it. I installed the damper, then the pulley, then torqued the crank bolt/washer..
It was a pita to torque...had to sneak behind the damper from the back, under the truck, and put 2 bolts through a couple of the unthreaded holes to wedge something..

"On an 86 model when the balancer is installed
and torqued to 70 ft lbs. The bolt then needs
to be removed, the crank pulley is then installed
on the balancer and the 3- 3/8" bolts are
installed and torqed to 35 ft lbs. The 7/16
bolt is then installed back into the crank
an retorqued. What I have seen you describe
is people try to install the pulley over the
crank bolt and it will kick the pulley to the
side, This being a new engine install I would
check this."

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a video from underneath...
There's definitely slight movement overall..It's very slight even at the pulley... But the big movement is whatever is happening on the inside part of the damper. I can't tell if it's the uneveness of the rubber strip which was apparent when I bought it...
But at the snout on the balancer, there are lines of sorts, like scores almost and they move oblong...Not sure what the lines are but if they are true and some kind of machined marks, there is definite wobbling... but if they're just random marks, who knows....
That black drip was from spray painting my timing cover.....

Just feel like something is off...not sure....
can be useful sometimes to slow playback speed...
if you do 1/4 speed at 45 seconds, you can see the mark on the damper hub/snout area moving that I was talking about......edit///this was just a random line of grease that had been pushed as I was installing

tempted to order a different balancer..
GM told me to email their product counterfeit dept with pictures of this one from Amazon GM store front which I did last week...Still waiting to hear back... This "GM" 6272222 balancer is identical to the made in China Dorman 594-002 that I replaced it with apart from the Dorman having one hole drilled on outer ring as opposed to 3 on the GM... The Dorman rubber was actually neater...More consistent....and the Dorman has stampings...made in china...numbers....The GM doesn't....they are identical otherwise......

....also tried getting a video of my flexplate/torque converter through the bellhousing weep hole...It's wobbly in there and you can hear a racket kind of...It's noticeable in video....I'll upload that if it's clear enough...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So under the truck I put a straight edge on the area shown in pic....the straight edge teeters ...almost like it's higher in the middle....almost like it's warped? very very slightly...but it stood out immediately to me as odd....
Tried on the old Dorman and it was flat..... :think:

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 5

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've watched my videos at .25 speed over and over and am pretty much convinced that 95% of the movement I'm seeing is from the rubber strip being uneven in height. The hub section is not moving. There is a section in the last video that show it's stable imo....40 -45 seconds in @ .25 speed...
There is very slight movement overall but I'm not sure if it's acceptable or not. Most everything online is split. Some have way worse than mine causing the pulley move quite a bit and they're being told by dealerships it's normal.
I don't like the fact that putting a straight edge seems like it is uneven.

I've ordered a oem level/cheaper Powerbond damper from Summit that I'll try to get installed later this week. I just have to know if there will be a difference. I wish I had taken video of the Dorman I took off to see what it really looked like in operation. Maybe it was the same deal with the rubber strip being uneven....

No more Amazon parts for me.. Although I do need another seal I couldn't find on Summit...... on that note, my old balancer had a bunch of oil coming from the seal so it was for sure leaking for some time...:hmm:
Hopefully the cheap removal tool will hold up to another fight.

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I had taken video of the Dorman I took off to see what it really looked like in operation. Maybe it was the same deal with the rubber strip being uneven....
I had taken a video and the Dorman was wobbling all over for sure .Not just the rubber..... Way worse than what I have going on now. It almost looks like the crank pulley was cocked a bit too but I need to study a bit more later.....could have been angle... but I did lose an old NOS drive belt I had sitting around for a few years in short order a couple of months ago, and the reason I put the NOS drive belt on was because the other had started slight fraying on the outer edge in one spot.

I do remember this last Dorman was a parking lot job with minimal tools from a guy that used to help me work...... must have been at least 7 or 8 years ago. Which means there would have been a reason for it being replaced//// so this truck has seen some unfortunate abuse as far as this area is concerned....hopefully everything will be ok.....who knows if the Dorman was ever even installed right.....

Powerbond damper supposed to arrive tomorrow...

Last edited: