Harmonic balancer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't fathom how you can discover "true" TDC with the piston stop and your timing pointer, and when you turn the crank to "true" TDC...the single-keyway crank gear can't line up with the cam gear. This indicates problems that are so unlikely as to be ridiculous.

I've been focused on the "error" of TDC marking on the damper; and it seems to potentially be a mis-matched damper/tiiming pointer.

I'm now wondering if the error is with the piston-stop and finding "true" TDC. Do the crank and cam alignment marks line-up when the factory mark on the damper aligns with the "0" on the timing pointer?

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't fathom how you can discover "true" TDC with the piston stop and your timing pointer, and when you turn the crank to "true" TDC...the single-keyway crank gear can't line up with the cam gear. This indicates problems that are so unlikely as to be ridiculous.
Yes this is my conundrum.....I FULLY understand the piston stop process of finding exact TDC...... and I feel (or felt) confident that my mark was actually just that.....
From my very limited knowledge, but more from just common sense, I am 100%with you in not being able to fathom how it would even be possible for that crank gear to be off.....
I mean you have the two reference points for piston travel limit in opposite directions of crank rotation, you have the centerline of those two reference points as a third reference point which is, by mathematical and geometrical constraints, NECESSARILY EXACT TDC......(as long as my process was kosher)....
what in hades could allow crank sprocket to be out of alignment is something I'm sure I don't want to know....
I've been focused on the "error" of TDC marking on the damper; and it seems to potentially be a mis-matched damper/tiiming pointer.
I'm not sure that's the case....I did think so until I checked the damper I pulled from the pull a part and its keyway and factory timing groove are located identically to the one on my truck..... and like I said the timing cover is almost certainly original to the truck (made in Canada) with zero evidence of any modification anywhere on it......
I'm now wondering if the error is with the piston-stop and finding "true" TDC. Do the crank and cam alignment marks line-up when the factory mark on the damper aligns with the "0" on the timing pointer?
Yes I'm second guessing myself as well and am going to redo it and see if anything changes or pops out to me.... and yes if you look at the last 2 pics I posted, it does appear that were I to put the factory mark at 0°, the crank would be able to align with the cam at proper up and down orientation...... the two TDC marks on damper (mine and factory) appear to be off
by about the same degree of offset as the crank gear is from being vertical.....
Man thank you so much for your patience and willingness to help

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One more question at the moment....
This pic shows the balancer I picked up at pull a part yesterday on the left and mine on the right....
Keyway on both are lined up same in relation to the timing groove.....
What do the holes in outer ring mean (3 on one from JY and 2 on mine)?.....
And in second pic, can anybody explain maybe what these colored marks mean? Thanks

Attachments

• 20230418_133944.jpg
    20230418_133944.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230418_133955.jpg
    20230418_133955.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 10

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do the holes in outer ring mean (3 on one from JY and 2 on mine)?.....
That's how they balance them, kinda like wheel weights only the opposite.

And in second pic, can anybody explain maybe what these colored marks mean?
I'm guessing here but, part of the balancing procedure, marking where it needs it.

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's how they balance them, kinda like wheel weights only the opposite.
That's what I was thinking but with no real knowledge to speak of, I thought maybe it designated fitment for particular motor or something..... thanks

Rustjunky67

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OKAY UPDATE!!!!!
You would think I had too much to drink (I don't drink at all)....
And I know that weed wasn't that good.....
So that only leaves one option.....I must be an idiot!!...
I finally got around to finding true TDC again and I'll be dammed for the life of me I don't know what I did wrong the first time.....
But upon making my mark for clockwise rotation, I already knew what the result would be.....
Upon making my mark for counterclockwise rotation, it was confirmed......
Factory mark on damper actually is TRUE TDC....
I'm really at a loss as to how I messed up but I did....
I sincerely apologize for wasting the time of y'all that attempted to help me figure out what could've been wrong when the whole time it was me.....
By the same token, thank you to all of y'all for your willingness to be of assistance....
Ok y'all stand by for my next inconceivable scenario and I'll stand by for my well deserved flogging!!
Sincere thanks again guys
I feel like I need this sign around my neck right now lol....

Attachments

• yng-15256_jy_xl.jpg
    yng-15256_jy_xl.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 7