Which Harmonic Balancer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Junk damper would be causing vibrations all the time, imo. I'd be doing more diagnosis before loading the parts cannon.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
Could be a plug wire getting too hot and causing engine not run properly but I know what you mean I just had mine replaced balancer I told my mechanic that I’m pretty sure it should be because I kept getting squeaky belt noises and had replaced tensioner multiple times but no fix but only for a day ! So the next time I had it down with him he actually looked at it and said yeah it had a few dings and a small chuck missing lots smoother but I think I still need doing U-joints.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that set a code and/or give me a CEL?
Maybe. Depends on what, exactly, is causing the misfire.

Keep in mind that OBD1 doesn't track misfire, specifically. OBD2 has a crank sensor that the computer analyses to track speed variation of the crank, looking for cylinders that don't perform. That's not happening on OBD1.

So there's this possibility--maybe even a probability--that the "vibration" you're feeling is the engine not running right, rather than a failed damper.

A damper that has failed in a way that allows torsional vibration will never be felt from the driver's seat. It's hard on the crankshaft, it's hard on the valvetrain, but you'll never feel it as you drive. A damper that fails in a manner that causes imbalance, you might feel. Again, hard on the crank, hard on the bearings, and it might shake the vehicle.

Might be worth your while to get the engine up to temperature so that the vibration is evident, then do a cylinder-balance test. Watch the results on a vacuum gauge. As each cylinder is shorted in turn, the vacuum should drop the same amount for each cylinder. If the vacuum for a particular cylinder doesn't drop as much as the rest, that cylinder is weak. If the vacuum doesn't drop at all, that cylinder is dead.

Last edited:

thx1138v2

Reaction score
"So there's this possibility--maybe even a probability--that the "vibration" you're feeling is the engine not running right, rather than a failed damper."

That got me thinking of a problem I had many, many years ago with the coil on a Pontiac. Once I started looking from that perspective I found several electrical and vacuum line connector problems that were buried back behind the TBI.

No vibration when cold or hot once those were corrected.

Many, many thanks. :)

Edit: I couldn't figure out how to close this thread.