Is this the harmonic balancer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cgbude

Reaction score
Successfully removed this beauty or should I say beast. Removal went well with no issues. Also I replaced thermostat with new gasket and upper/lower radiator hoses/clamps cause one was leaking. Now comes installing new crankshaft seal, harmonic balancer and crankshaft pulley.

Note haven't removed seal yet in picture.

Attachments

• 20230930_190828.jpg
    20230930_190828.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230930_191227.jpg
    20230930_191227.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230930_190904.jpg
    20230930_190904.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 10

cgbude

Reaction score
Successfully removed this beauty or should I say beast. Removal went well with no issues. Also I replaced thermostat with new gasket and upper/lower radiator hoses/clamps cause one was leaking. Now comes installing new crankshaft seal, harmonic balancer and crankshaft pulley.

Crankshaft front seal was stuck pretty good so I ended up drilling a screw into seal and prying it out with a small crowbar against a piece of wood.

Attachments

• 20230930_210032.jpg
    20230930_210032.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 2

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Glad you caught this in time! Are you gonna do the timing chain and timing cover seal since you are there?

Last edited:

pgutier1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crankshaft front seal was stuck pretty good so I ended up drilling a screw into seal and prying it out with a small crowbar against a piece of wood.
I know the feeling, I took a very large socket for a front axle nut and hammered away...I like your idea better.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came across this video for the idea.
Crank front seal
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Disassembly worked OK. Not too keen on his re-assembly once the seal is pressed in.

Beating the damper on is a good way to damage the thrust bearing. Ideally, it's pulled into place by FULLY-threading a stud into the front of the crank, and then using a nut-and-bearing assembly to squeeze the damper into place.

You DO NOT want to pull the damper into place by tightening a bolt into the front of the crank--you're really likely to pull the threads out of the crank that way.

cgbude

Reaction score
Disassembly worked OK. Not too keen on his re-assembly once the seal is pressed in.

Beating the damper on is a good way to damage the thrust bearing. Ideally, it's pulled into place by FULLY-threading a stud into the front of the crank, and then using a nut-and-bearing assembly to squeeze the damper into place.

You DO NOT want to pull the damper into place by tightening a bolt into the front of the crank--you're really likely to pull the threads out of the crank that way.
I purchased a puller and installer kit from Auto Zone for Harmonic Damper.