1994 5.7 TBI installing Harmonic balancer, crankshaft balancer, vibration dampener etc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting a little confused and frustrated regarding the front seal on the timing cover.

Was looking at my pics and the GM 10243247 which I bought NOS came in a GM bag but, looking at pics, it clearly says National on it . Ok..fine..

Go to Autozone and , from researching a bit, it looks like the GM seal should be the National 9845. But Autozone says it's not compatible with my vehicle.
But the Duralast 9845 is compatible and looks identical...lol ok....

There's an AC Delco Gold 9845 that shows it's compatible as well....

all these 9845 are identical to the GM 10243247 I have in there now...mine even says National...

Local Chevy dealer site says 10243247 is ok but it popped up GM 14090906 as first recommendation.
Both diagrams show same location on timing cover.

GM parts Giant says GM 14090906 isn't compatible with my vehicle....but 10243247 is...

the 14090906 is clearly different. Either coated or is solid rubber with grooves...

idk... I have the 14090906 here now.

I'm taking the made in China Dayco Powerbond blancer out and going to see if I can return it to Summit.

The Amazon purchased GM balancer worked better. More stable. Not sure about the bouncing timing or the long cranks associated with it.
I'm returning it too because of the rubber flopping around and there's a pretty good sized gouge on the outer ring. Maybe it was damaged in shipping or whatever and it through the rubber off. I'm getting a replacement.....

At least it's made in Mexico and not China. Just not lucky so far with the China stuff.

Just want to make sure I have the right seal..
Only thing I can see on Chevy dealership site is the 1409096 says W/O balanced shaft? What does that mean?
The 10243247 info is sparse...no mention....

Attachments

• 61eLb6pQDIL._AC_SL1049_.jpg
    61eLb6pQDIL._AC_SL1049_.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 613GSKTalNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    613GSKTalNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 4

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A generic camshaft holder (for doing timing belts in OHC engines) works just fine for holding the harmonic balancer.
Not sure how long the pins are on that but with my balancer, the crank pulley has to go on before the crank washer and bolt so it's in the way to use the spanner from the front and it can't be used in the back because the pins are too short.
I had to use bolts that were just long enough but not too long and come from the back to do my final torque.
It worked great for removing the balancer though.
Maybe I was missing something but it didn't help me during the install...

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used my cam holder to hold my balancer while removing the bolt. Install the balancer without the pulley, then remove the bolt so you can install the pulley onto the balancer.