Wheel balancing beads “ Do they really help”?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the beads are installed by weight, so many ounces per tire size. my 225/70/19.5 tires take 6oz per tire.

I had my doubts but I watched a video where a guy tested them out in a car tire on a spin balancer.. it worked. He even mounted a GoPro in his tire to watch them while he drove around.

I plan on swapping my tires manually and using them.

Reaction score
As a Jeep guy I use balance beads on my 35" tires. They tend to work well for truck tires but not as well for smaller (passenger car) tires. When you take a vehicle on and off road, the beads have a few advantages.
- Airing down and up tires repeatedly tends to dislodge clip-on wheel weights. The beads don't care about that.
- Rocks and branches can also pop-off clip-on or stick-on weights. That is a non-issue for beads.
- When off roading it is common to take a large chunk of rubber out of a tread lug and change the balance of the tire. Beads automatically compensate for that.
- As already mentioned, large tires can be difficult to balance even when new. Beads are easy.

The downside to them is that it can take a minute for them to find their "happy place" when you first start driving down the road. I get a vibration at 60mph for about a minute or two and then it smooths out. I'd say go with traditional wheel weights unless you have a problem tire that just doesn't want to balance or if you plan on taking it off road frequently. I have a set of 32" BFG KO2s right now with clip on weights on my wife's Jeep. They have been balanced a few times and still aren't great. Those will likely get beads in the future. KO2s are notorious for not wanting to balance though.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just to recap: always return to use traditional balancing methods. If that doesn’t work well then beads are a fantastic alternative.

Longshot379

Reaction score
I used to use 3 to 5 golf balls in a semi truck tire to balance them, especially steer tires. It worked quite well. They would last 2 to 3 tire changes and no damage to the tire or wheel.

I have used beads in motorcycle tires for many years. Started off with glass beads and then changed to ceramic beads when the glass would turn to dust. The ceramic beads after several tires would occasionally start picking up rubber from the tire. I would put new ones in when that happened. Never had a issue with vibration at all over 80,000 miles on one bike.

I have a 2000 k3500 dually with 245/75-16 used tires on it. Started out with machine balancing and had vibrations at several different speeds. I put the recommended weight of beads for the size of tire in and 95% of the vibration went away. I have 2 slightly bent wheels on the rear that shake a little.
They maintain the balance over the life of the tire as it changes from wear unlike normal weights.