14 bolt rears.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Not to mention i garuntee it vosts more to build a 10 bolt than to simple swap a 14 bolt

sent from my outdated S3

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yea, 3.73's and 3.42's run the same carrier if i am not mistaken. Gear swap is a much simpler route. If you ever want the 3.73's back, keep them so you can stick them back in it if need be.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
heres my opinions take them as wyou will

700r4 swaps are cheap get an 87+ trans and get it built, 700r4s are great trannys when built to hold power, stock they are time bombs once you put some power in front of them thats why they were never behind big blocks.

second concern i hope this isnt a true 454ss

thirdly. 10 bolts can hold power but its not truly cost effective a semi float of full float 14 is not only cheaper to build but much much stronger with the same goodies. downside is weight

fourth i know a member sewlow talked about it theres class c bbc/400 equpieed motorhome with stock overdrive units attached to them, might be something to look into as you just bolt that up and shorten your driveshaft really, even swapping to a 700 youll need to swapdriveshafts and going to a 14 bolt youll need to have a new yoke welded on.

gear swap would do it but i think theres better way to benefit you

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
heres my opinions take them as wyou will

700r4 swaps are cheap get an 87+ trans and get it built, 700r4s are great trannys when built to hold power, stock they are time bombs once you put some power in front of them thats why they were never behind big blocks.

second concern i hope this isnt a true 454ss

thirdly. 10 bolts can hold power but its not truly cost effective a semi float of full float 14 is not only cheaper to build but much much stronger with the same goodies. downside is weight

fourth i know a member sewlow talked about it theres class c bbc/400 equpieed motorhome with stock overdrive units attached to them, might be something to look into as you just bolt that up and shorten your driveshaft really, even swapping to a 700 youll need to swapdriveshafts and going to a 14 bolt youll need to have a new yoke welded on.

gear swap would do it but i think theres better way to benefit you

I agree mostly except hes not going to a 14 bolt and you dont need a new yoke welded of for a 14 bolt swap anyway

sent from my outdated S3

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
I agree mostly except hes not going to a 14 bolt and you dont need a new yoke welded of for a 14 bolt swap anyway

sent from my outdated S3

hes going from a 14 to a 10, convesion joints dont count, they are weak id never personally run one, they are the half assed way of doing it so for me id rather do it right and have it rewelded.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
hes going from a 14 to a 10, convesion joints dont count, they are weak id never personally run one, they are the half assed way of doing it so for me id rather do it right and have it rewelded.

Exactly and theyre just as strong as any u joint

sent from my outdated S3

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Ok whatever you say

sent from my outdated S3

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
Ok whatever you say

sent from my outdated S3

i had to test them bud, trust me on that one, best u joints are spicer lifes, solid joints ive only seen one crashed and split in half, the heads of the conversion joints are the weak point thats why spicer doesnt make one in the life series, greasables are second weakest mostly because they arent sealed as well as non greasables and the insides are hollow for the grease which is your weak point let alone as soon as someone forgets to put grease in them once they start causing wear on themselves.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
A 10 bolt will handle many passes with slicks on the dragstrip, I know someone who has over 200 passes on his, however it's in a 1950 ford pickup chassis. The secret to making it live is to pre-load it, taking out any slack before launching. He had a fairly stock 427 BBC in front of it with a 700R4, but has since swapped that out for a modded powerstroke.

A 10 bolt will not take continuous abuse by dropping the hammer everywhere you go, if you drive like you stole it, a 14 bolt would be much better.

Heavy trucks + decent power and traction + abuse is what is going to be the downfall of the 10 bolt. For the OP, I would suggest swapping out the 400 for a built 700R4 instead of swapping out the gearing.