Would you drive 2300 miles based on these conditions -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FarmerPhil

Reaction score
Or just throw it in the bed, so it doesn't have to be fussed with in the rain/snow/whatever....assuming the cargo is going to be in the trailer.

The original post states I have a new, full size spare (w a ACDelco 2-ton rapid jack)

It is in the bed, I will not be towing a trailer. Light furniture and items in 8ft bed only.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The original post states I have a new, full size spare (w a ACDelco 2-ton rapid jack)

It is in the bed, I will not be towing a trailer. Light furniture and items in 8ft bed only.

Ok then, if you have room in the bed by the tailgate. If you need your spare it will be much easier to simply roll it out of the bed rather than fight with a spare tire winch under the truck. They often freeze up with corrosion.

Gary Mettus

Reaction score
Ha!

My wife and I drove my late father's 1990 K1500 Ext. Cab with 40k miles from Pittsburgh to Phoenix via Williamsburg, VA with the stake sides on and fully loaded with memorabilia including the biggest console stereo ever made :-D Trip total is 2,700 miles crossing the Allegheny mountains twice. Rode like a Cadillac and not a single hiccup.

I had no knowledge of this truck other than it's registration had been expired for 4 years and I had to replace the battery and fuel filter to get it started. I did do a shake down trip to my brother's in Washington D.C. which is 500 miles round trip and over the Alleghenies. After the shake down I replaced the original 28 year old 80 PSI tires and found the intermittent misfire caused by a spark plug cap that was arching to a heat shield. I just turned it 90 degrees but didn't replace the wires until I got back to Phoenix.

The funny thing is the list of repairs you have is all the things I had to do in the first year after I got the truck back to Phoenix. Sitting for four years was a killer.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d jump in it and drive no worries

Last big trip in my 99 (150k on the ODO)was A RT from DC to Boise. Like others have mentioned, these trucks are easy to work on and parts are still plentiful.

While I was in Boise it snowed and I played in it in the National Forest and Bogus Basin. Can’t count the number of folks I pulled out of snowdrifts one weekend.

On the way home my gps suddenly added 14 hours to the trip, turned out snow closed I80 across three states. I diverted to I70, blasted over the snow packed pass in Colorado and had a blast doing it! Truck ran like a champ the whole trip.

Pack your emergency kit, top off her fluids and keep your tank above 1/2 and you’ll be more than fine. In fact, prepare to have a little fun along the way!

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cars break. It’s just a fact. If you don’t trust the vehicle then rent a Uhaul and a trailer.
These trucks are usually pretty reloable. What exactly is breaking often? Mechanical or electrical?

FarmerPhil

Reaction score
I’d jump in it and drive no worries

Last big trip in my 99 (150k on the ODO)was A RT from DC to Boise. Like others have mentioned, these trucks are easy to work on and parts are still plentiful.

While I was in Boise it snowed and I played in it in the National Forest and Bogus Basin. Can’t count the number of folks I pulled out of snowdrifts one weekend.

On the way home my gps suddenly added 14 hours to the trip, turned out snow closed I80 across three states. I diverted to I70, blasted over the snow packed pass in Colorado and had a blast doing it! Truck ran like a champ the whole trip.

Pack your emergency kit, top off her fluids and keep your tank above 1/2 and you’ll be more than fine. In fact, prepare to have a little fun along the way!

YIKES!

FarmerPhil

Reaction score
Cars break. It’s just a fact. If you don’t trust the vehicle then rent a Uhaul and a trailer.
These trucks are usually pretty reloable. What exactly is breaking often? Mechanical or electrical?

Yes, I have read all over the internet that the 5.7 v8 is arguably the most durable v8 of the 20th century. I've heard of the classic hot-rod saying "Put a small block 350 in 'er!"

To put into perspective, I am in my early 30s and have driven a Lexus sedan for the last decade.

The situations where I broke down and needed immediate repair were:
1. Dec2019, 300 miles after purchase, driving around town and engine would sputter and quit. Quickly put into park, start up again, drive 20 ft, sputter/die, etc - spark plugs wires radiator water pump fuel filter
2. Feb2020, 800 miles after ^, Drove a good 15 miles on interstate before getting to friends house, as I put into reverse and back into his back drive, truck died halfway on the sidewalk/half on the street - fuel pump
3. May 2020, couple thousand miles after ^, truck had been turned off for about a 30 minute pit stop. Wouldn't crank after that - starter
4. August 2020, couple thousand.. (you get it), was in an extremely isolated camping area of North-Central WA, 100 miles from home, same symptoms as in #1, however brakes and steering would also give out. It was extremely scary to be going downhill, around curvy dirt roads and the engine, brakes, and power steering cut out. Ended up leaving the truck at the campsite for 10 days before I could manage to get AAA and a random camper to put the truck out. Very unforgiving area - fuel pump hanger assembly.

____

This does not include the general engine filter, new battery, new power steering pump, oil/filter change, and seafoam that I had done while truck was "properly" running.

Based on experience #4 followed by #1 , I guess I've kinda made up my mind already and I would be lying if I said I wasn't trying to have you guys convince me otherwise.

In 2015, I've done this trip before, moving my parents from WA to their Texas ranch. Parents were in a Penske towing the Lexus, brother and I were driving a 2001 Silverado 1500 z71 (135K miles) ext. cab 5.3L v8 6.5ft bed w canopy and fully loaded bed. Dad bought the truck private party/no maintenance records 1 week before the move, had fluids and air filter change. My first drive in that truck was the stretch from Seattle -> Denver. 0 problems.